• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeModelEngineMachinist and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

4 channel Cox glow plug driver

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevehuckss396

Model Engineer
Project of the Month Winner
HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have these 4 channel drivers I built many years ago. Hate to just toss them so if anybody wants a few I will be at the show in Zanesville Ohio. Let me know and I'll bring them with me and you can pick them up there. Have way more than I will ever need in my lifetime.

20190902_131811[1].jpg

Hi Steve,

Do you have the circuit diagram for the 4 channel glow plug driver? I have a 4 cylinder engine nearing completion and need to figure out how to supply all 4 plugs. I guess you have given these away by now.

Many thanks
Steve

The circuit requires a pic to be programmed. If you want I will see if I have a few laying around and if so send them to you. Just cover the cost of shipping. They were designed to power cox glow plugs at 1.2 volt and 3.5 amp. The input to the board is 12 volt. They were intended to be used with an automotive battery.

Hi Steve,

That would be great, if you find one I will pay all expenses (I am in the UK) For postage and some beer vouchers as well.
The use of an automotive battery was my intended route and looking at the boards, they look like a row of mosfets or 220 cased bipolars with drivers that provide individual 3.5 ish current to each plug. Is the PIC control to operate a PWM type of output? I am just not good enough to design a electronic board myself. Not without blowing glow plug coils!

Regards

Steve

Hi Steve
I built a very similar if not the same unit but had pretty poor results, only 1 of the 4 outputs remained stable and "lit" the glo plug, the others varied in brightness from just visible to dull red, not enough to ensure operation.
I think it may be my choice of output driver, which device did you use for that please ?

xpylonracer

I don't have the software that the boards were designed in. It was 12 years ago that I built the Hex4 engines so I don't have a prayer of remembering what was used. Jerry James programmed the pics and sent them to me if I remember correctly.

I did find the box with the drivers in them.

Steve -
Do you still have some glow plug drivers? If so, tell me how much they will cost, and how you would like to be paid.
Bob Grant
Salt Lake City, UT

Steve-
Thinking about this a bit more - If the pics are prgrammed then I would be very interested, otherwise I have no hope of programming them if they need that. I note others are interested so I will let this one go, this is purely based on not being able to program the pics. I will keep looking for a 4 x glow driver, there is a Sulivan one but pricy for occasional use. Thanks for your help on this, Meanwhile, I will continue to look for a circuit diagram.

Steve

Hi Steve,

Do you have the circuit diagram for the 4 channel glow plug driver? I have a 4 cylinder engine nearing completion and need to figure out how to supply all 4 plugs. I guess you have given these away by now.

Many thanks
Steve

I found an Arduino unit on the web which was originally made for 9 cylinder engine.
If you can muster up the time to learn how to program an Arduino Pro Mini (maybe an hour or so) then it might be a good alternative.
Any number of the outputs could be used for whatever number of cylinders, obviously up to 9.
The circuit diagram is not clear in all details so I was going to rehash that.

Programming the Pro Mini is a fairly straightforward task and I could make a small video on it as well.
Time is the thing, could be a month or so before I can get to it.
Cheers Jorgo

Hey Steve, I would be interested in one of the glow plug drivers. Do you take paypal or maybe something else?
Thanks,
Bruski

Latest posts

Back