4-Axis CNC or 3-Axis CNC and lathe?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hW6gTI7Pe1Y[/ame]

Too bad Madcam isn't a standalone product. It will do what I want and the price is very reasonable.

Nick, I asked you about the camshaft code some time ago, but only just put my 4th together. Yes, some things could be hand or spreadsheet coded, but I think I want to work on complex forms. I can my current projects by hand coding indexing with my current CAM software. Continuous/simultaneous would be nice.

Greg

There is one more thing to consider when talking 4th axis, software. I've not found a 4th axis continuous machining CAM for less than 2500USD.

Have you looked at SprutCAM? It's $1,500 for Tormach mill owners and somewhat higher for those that don't own a Tormach mill. See www.sprutcamamerica.com for a trial version, some tutorial videos, and pricing details.

Mike

SprutCAM for $1500 doesn't do 4th axis. I've been playing with the demo for a couple days. You need Pro or Master level at around 4kUSD.

SprutCAM for $1500 doesn't do 4th axis. I've been playing with the demo for a couple days. You need Pro or Master level at around 4kUSD.

I have the Pro version of SprutCAM that was bought with my Tormach and that will do continuous 4th axis. Tormach sells it for $1k with a Tormach and limited to working only with a Tormach mill (only the Tormach post will work with it) or for $1.5k with a Tormach mill in a version that will work with any SprutCAM post.

Looks like the cheapest option for non-Tormach owners is the Master version at $2700. While cheaper than many other CAM programs that is probably a bit more than most MEs can afford or would mind paying. I've never tried, but perhaps pricing is somewhat negotiable?

There's always BobCadCam. Can CamBam do continuous 4th axis yet?

Mike

I'm not sure how many home hobbyists need continuous 4th axis. Cncwrapper will handle both 2.5D and 3D programs, which ought to suit 99% of 4th axis needs. For $25 it's hard to beat. Pair it with CamBam and you've got a good working solution for <$200.

I don't know exactly what CNCwrapper does. But what it looks like, it just repaces movements of the Y-axis with rotation of the A-axis.
Any editor can do that!

Nick

I don't know exactly what CNCwrapper does. But what it looks like, it just repaces movements of the Y-axis with rotation of the A-axis.
Any editor can do that!
Nick

Not quite. A G2/G3 circular interpolation in XY cannot be translated by just replacing the Y with A. The program needs to replace the arc with a series of short G1 moves in X and A.

The Y displacements (in inches or mm) need to be converted to degrees of arc based on the radius of the work.

Last edited:
The Y displacements (in inches or mm) need to be converted to degrees of arc based on the radius of the work.

I think Mach3 works with the circumference, so thats already done. In LinuxCNC, you can scale the A-axis to match.

A G2/G3 circular interpolation in XY cannot be translated by just replacing the Y with A.
That's right. Convince your CAM that you don't have G2/G3 and let it generate small segments.

Nick

Back