3D CAD and Model Engineering

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vascon2196

Reaction score
Howdy folks...just wondering...

For those of you who have used 3D CAD (like SolidWorks) for your model engine builds...what has been your overal experience? Is 3D CAD a must-have when designing and building a new engine? Was it hard to learn?

For those of you who still use 2D CAD...what would convince you to transition into 3D CAD?

I just recently wrote an article featured in Digital Machinist magazine regarding 3D CAD and model engine building...wanted to hear what you guys had to say about the topic.

Just curious...

Thanks!

I learned Acad 12 for win. Back at that time it wasn't that hard to learn! Right now I am looking to obtain a student version of acad for win 7. Can't find it yet!

Funny you should ask, Im sitting here modeling an engine in Alibre right now. Is 3D cad necessary?? Well a 100 years ago they did with out it. For me its a time saver. I can build and visualize what im doing much better than just on paper. I have really enjoyed cad modeling and feel that I can avoid costly mistakes by doing so. Anyone that wants to design and build thier own design should consider having a cad program.

Vascon---I use Solidworks for my business designing machinery and automation. There is a steep learning curve. Is it absolutely necessary?---Not at all. I have been designing machinery (including engines) for 47 years. The first 32 on a drafting board, the next 3 in Autocad, and the last 10 or12 in 3D Solidworks. Would I go back to the board or 2D?---Not on your life!!!

No. But it does it make it nicer. I have done lots of 3D design in 2D CAD, but since I have learned 3D CAD I find that I like doing things in 3D CAD. Probably even some things that would be just as well done in 2D. The initial learning curve was just as steep, or maybe steeper, than the learning curve for 2D CAD.

I do my 3D CAD with AutoCAD and have also done the same type of drawings using ProgeCAD. Functions are just the same, cost is different. Actually like the rendering tools better in ProgeCAD. Cost is a bit less also. Macro stuff had to be written a bit differently.

I'm also a Alibre user form day one. Found a big error in the Holt 75 paper drawings I have. Would of found it when I build the engine but maybe not until I had made a rather costly mistake machining.

Dave

Hello,

I used Cad too both 2d and 3D. I recently upgraded to a new 64 bit pc and my Autocad2007 will not work. And to hell paying again for a new version. I have since been using Draughtsight. It is supplied free from the Solidworks company, and apart from 2 icons, it looks and operates just like AutoCAD. Give it a try, it's amazing,. . . . . . . . .

I agree with Dave , the ability to build a model in 3D cad before cutting metal highlights any drawing errors , limiting expensive re-working , especially useful where multi-part asemblies are involved .
Adding another dimension to a drawing also adds another dimension to thinking.
The ability to see a 3D part often leads to changes and simplifications that would not have been apparent looking at a 2D drawing.
Machining set-ups and solutions can often be resolved at the computer rather than the mill or lathe.
Not a necessity by any means but for me a huge timesaver , like any tool that is not essential but makes the job much easier it needs to be priced to allow occasional use and not be the most expensive piece of equipment I possess.
I came to using 3D CAD later in life than many model engineers and have found 2D/3D ViaCad to be a good choice , cheap and very easy to learn and use which is important as I want to spend my time producing models not drawings.
It doesn't have the frills of the industry leaders but does the job at a fraction of their price.
I will also add that as a G5 Mac user the majority of 3D cad software is unavailable to me.

Last edited:
Finding drawing errors.
Finding missing dimensions.
Visual referance.
making sure things fit.
It's all great to be able to do this with CAD and it seems that about 90% of plans that I get have problems.
I use either Inventor 2012 Pro or Solidworks 2012 Premium in either Metric or Imperial.

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

I learned Acad 12 for win. Back at that time it wasn't that hard to learn! Right now I am looking to obtain a student version of acad for win 7. Can't find it yet!
Hi Rob, what is ACD software???????????

I know that you can get CAD from Autodesk as a student version,
this is what I get my students to download

cheers

Great responses...It is nice to see the differences and simmilarities between all of us.

I was fortunate to have learned board drafting, then 2D Autocad, then Mechanical Desktop, then SolidWorks, then Pro-E, and now back to SolidWorks. I did use Alibre for a little while when I was doing contract work on the side.

Personally I like SolidWorks and enjoy teaching it. Even though there are a lot of Wizards and built in functions of the software that make it great when designing I find it necessary to bring back all of the old drafting rules I was taught. Like, what does Hole Wizard do when you select "Clearance for a 1/4" SHCS"? Most students don't care...and I have them search through the Machinery's handbook to find it.

Anyway...I wanted to see how many Model Engineers use 3D CAD for their designs and what you all thought of it. Just because I can design something using pencil and paper does not mean I am in a hurry to go back and do it!

Either way, I enjoy all of it...2D & 3D CAD...and model engineering.

For those of you still thinking about moving over to 3D CAD just try it once. When you get your first mechanism moving in an assembly you will be hooked!!!

I have Solid Works and have try draw some tutorials for some ours
but when I try do somthing myselfe I dont remember anything how it
was done.
I realy want to learn it but I dont know if I ever will.:wall:
Right now I started to transform another engine from a drawing to
another shape but I do that on simple paper sketches.:fan:

I have Solid Works and have try draw some tutorials for some ours
but when I try do somthing myselfe I dont remember anything how it
was done.
I realy want to learn it but I dont know if I ever will.:wall:
Right now I started to transform another engine from a drawing to
another shape but I do that on simple paper sketches.:fan:
try this one compltely free ans easy to use
http://www.emachineshop.com/

Does anyone have a suggestion for a SIMPLE pgm. that can do what I needed to in this dwg.? I DON'T want a full blown CAD pgm.
I probably could do it with geometry but I think it would have to be an iterative process and take ages. The drafting I need to do is
usually simple enough to do on a board with straight edge and triangle with a circle template occasionally. But finding the location of
an arc center is the catch. (when the lines are not at right angles).
Thanks for any suggestions.
...Lew...

CAD sketch .jpg

Well, it looks to be much simplier.
Do you now the price?

Back