3D CAD and Model Engineering

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anyone have a suggestion for a SIMPLE pgm. that can do what I needed to in this dwg.? I DON'T want a full blown CAD pgm.
I probably could do it with geometry but I think it would have to be an iterative process and take ages. The drafting I need to do is
usually simple enough to do on a board with straight edge and triangle with a circle template occasionally. But finding the location of
an arc center is the catch. (when the lines are not at right angles).
Thanks for any suggestions.
...Lew...
look at answer number19 there is a link posted

Howdy folks...just wondering...

For those of you who have used 3D CAD (like SolidWorks) for your model engine builds...what has been your overal experience? Is 3D CAD a must-have when designing and building a new engine? Was it hard to learn?

For those of you who still use 2D CAD...what would convince you to transition into 3D CAD?

I just recently wrote an article featured in Digital Machinist magazine regarding 3D CAD and model engine building...wanted to hear what you guys had to say about the topic.

Just curious...

Thanks!

3D cad has helped me out. I'm not saying I couldn't do it without the program but it saves a ton of time. I have designed a half a dozen engines to the point where they were complete before I cut the first part. In the end there were very few changes and no "do over's" on making parts. It's a big help.

OK downloaded emachineshop. and am trying it. got the circles drawn and the two
tangents but now can't figure out how to "move" the last circle to MAKE it tangent
to the two lines, and then read the coordinates of center.
...lew...

emach.test.jpg

OK downloaded emachineshop. and am trying it. got the circles drawn and the two
tangents but now can't figure out how to "move" the last circle to MAKE it tangent
to the two lines, and then read the coordinates of center.
...lew...
when it's red like the picture and the square around it
put your pointer over the line and you will see the 4 arrows coming upuse lh mouse and drag it.
you can also use help or tutorial. They also offer online help for free :)

I have Solid Works and have try draw some tutorials for some ours
but when I try do somthing myselfe I dont remember anything how it
was done.
I realy want to learn it but I dont know if I ever will.:wall:
Right now I started to transform another engine from a drawing to
another shape but I do that on simple paper sketches.:fan:

It does take some time to get the learning curve...that is for sure.

Best thing to do is practice. I started by taking old 1970's drafting books and putting them into SolidWorks...very challenging and lots of fun.

Another big plus for Solidworks from me.
I use it all day everyday in my paid job as a mechanical design engineer.

Then I come home and use it regularly at home for my model engineering designs. I have a golden rule to never trust any published design until I have modelled it in Solidworks myself to make sure it will work out OK.

I started with pencil and drawing board, then Autocad 2D and since 2005 I have been on Solidworks.
Would I go back to 2D ??.........Not on your Nellie.

Phil

My biggest complaint with solidworks is the cost of it. Since I'm just using the 3D Cad as a hobby I can't justify the expense, so I went with what I could afford (Alibre) and have no complaints. Having used turbocad for a few years the learning curve was next to none. Heck just playing with it and thinking I want this to do this was enough to get going for me.

Just starting back in the hobby in the last couple of months and after pouring over the plans for the Stuart No.9 I decided to model it in Solidworks both as a double check and also to be capable of dimensioning things the way I want them dimensioned for ease of settup.

It took approximately 6 hours to model it this far. The castings are not dead accurate but I was more interested in the machined surfaces.

I know it's not necessary but it sure is a nice luxury to have. I have Solidworks for my business and I am quite sure if I was a basket-maker or a tailor I would make do without.

John

STUART TURNER NO 9.jpg

Just starting back in the hobby in the last couple of months and after pouring over the plans for the Stuart No.9 I decided to model it in Solidworks both as a double check and also to be capable of dimensioning things the way I want them dimensioned for ease of settup.

It took approximately 6 hours to model it this far. The castings are not dead accurate but I was more interested in the machined surfaces.

I know it's not necessary but it sure is a nice luxury to have. I have Solidworks for my business and I am quite sure if I was a basket-maker or a tailor I would make do without.

John

Great looking model...it is always nice to see it "work" on the screen before it "works" in reality. Also great for double checking form fit and function of mating parts. Also good for setup purposes too!

Unfortunately some people still think 3D CAD is only good for making cartoons....

You can find Solid Edge here http://www.plm.automation.siemens.com/en_us/products/velocity/solidedge/free2d/

When you are drawing lines and circle you use the reference grid. Once you are happy you go to the Dim tools and Dim the drawing. I don't use this program a lot because I mostly model in 3D using Alibre. Alibre is about 25 times less expensive than solidworks.
Dave
UN-fortunately it needs Vista or Win 7 .:-( I am using XP and no plans on changing.
Thanks
...lew...

Alibre works just fine under XP 32 bit.

I switched from AutoCAD to Alibre after the second issue of my magazine. I could not do the drawings if I had to use a 2D drafting tool to make them. Alibre is about 10 x faster than 2D and being able to put all the parts together and check clearances, etc., is incredibly important. Motion capabilities really allow analysis of designs, etc. Especially when tab A hits tab B and it should have hit tab C. Really keeps the errata notifications to a minimum.

It is also a major design tool where I feel 2D is just a drafting tool.

Mike is correct that Alibre will run on XP machines. The personal edition is $199.00 and well worth the money if you are designing model IC or steam engines. It will do most of what solid works does for less money. Here is an example of what can be done. This has been rendered with Key Shot 3. It is a model Z drive for RC model tug boats we are designing and building.

Dave

Zdrivebwithmotor7_zps5f9d2d6b.jpg

Dave, love the Z drive!!! How did you make the prop??

All the cast parts of the drive have been designed in alibre. Shapeways did several of the RPs and I built molds for lost wax investment casting. The castings I have now were cast in the UK or NZ. I have waxes at the foundry in Tacoma WA right now.
The molds for the props were a pain with the development of the parting line.

Dave

I've only been playing with Key Shot 3 for a short time. I find it fairly easy to use and as you can see it adds to the 3D model 100%.
It did cost me a few bucks when I went from PE to Pro.

Dave

Back