30CrNiMo8V steel

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FredG

Reaction score
Please help, I have a specification from a Russian drawing for 30CrNiMo8V steel. I am unable to find the US equivalent. Does anyone know an available substitute? Thanks!
Fred

Fred,
My chart shows it as a general purpose structural alloy steel with no direct ANSI equal, but in the same general class as 4130 or 4140. Tell us a little bit about the application and what you want to use it for and someone may be able to help more.
Gail in NM

Gail, thanks. The part is for the nose gear of an aircraft. It is machined into a flat sided pin that slides in a milled slot in a steel tube so that the a shaft and tube will rotate together but have linear sliding motion. Basically, it is one of two steel surfaces that rub. The only lubrication is grease. However, most of the time (ie. in the air) there is no bearing load on it at all.

Fred I think Gail is right, 4140 would be a good substitute. 30CrNiMo8V indicates that it contains Chrome, Nickel and Molybdenum. Other substitutes would be tool steels. K100, K107 from Bohler Uddeholm would do the job. As you indicated that the loads are minimal you probably would not need to harden the piece, but that is still an option should it be needed.

Or would a 4130HT be apprpriate. A little harder, but still machinable.

Latest posts

Back