304Cu Stainless Steel

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sunworksco

Rocket Man
Reaction score
I'm thinking about using this type of stainless steel material for my scale model wheels.

304Cu Stainless Steel

Schmolz + Bickenbach UGIMA® 304 Cu Stainless Steal Bars
Categories: Metal; Ferrous Metal; Austenitic; Stainless Steel; T 300 Series Stainless Steel
Material Notes: Description: 304Cu UGIMA® is an enhanced machining grade produced only by Ugitech, providing the ultimate level of machinability available in an non-resulfurized austenitic stainless steel. 304Cu UGIMA® also features the added benefit of increased cold formability when compared with that of standard type 304 stainless steels. The increased copper content in 304Cu UGIMA® provides corrosion resistance superior to 304L and comparable to 316L. The unique combination of machinability, cold formability, and corrosion resistance afforded by 304Cu UGIMA® is unique in the industry, and provides the optimum solution for even the most difficult fabrication challenges. 304Cu UGIMA® builds upon the proprietary UGIMA manufacturing process with the addition of copper, allowing for unparalleled machinability across a wide range of operations and cutting conditions. It allows for superior machinabilty at both low and high speeds, cam-driven and CNC machines, and with high-speed steel or carbide tooling. Machine shops using 304Cu UGIMA® have experienced consistent success regardless of machine, operation, tooling, or cutting conditions. From lot to lot 304Cu UGIMA® is engineered to give the same high performance every time without surprises.
Information provided by Schmolz + Bickenbach

I've been cutting some 304 tube the last couple days. It cut very well with Sandvik DCMT UM 1125 inserts. If you find you have to take a very small cut, less than .001" you may consider using a aluminum cutting inserts.

I see a lot of griping about 304, but I've had very good luck. An even easier to cut 304 would be a dream.

Greg

304Cu should soft and hard solder well.
It is also less expensive than 304L.
I'm planning to machine the wheels for my 1/4 scale Stanley Flying Tea Kettle out of 304Cu.
The wheels are 6.75" outside diameter x .75" width.
I am using 304 nails for the wire spokes and soft soldering them to the rim.
I need to find some type of stainless steel metal fasteners for the spoke nipples, where the spokes attach to the rim. A hat-shaped fitting that I can insert from the outer side of the rim would be nice.
I just calculated what the size of the steam engine pistons are, 1-1/8" diameter x 1.625". I'm using ceramic pistons with two viton o-rings on each one of the two cylinders.
I'm casting the cylinder block out of silicon bronze. I have been told that by soaking the block in ammonia that the surface color will be a cast iron color.

I just called the USA distributors and they were telling me that I have to order 8,000Lbs.
I guess this is what you call unobtainium! :eek:
I sent an email to the headquarters in Germany. Hopefully a reply wil be here by Monday.
Why they are not distributing small quantities through the normal retail suppliers is a great mystery. I'm guessing that I will most likely go back with the plan to machine 303 stainless steel, the more machinable stainless steel. It can't be more expensive that 304 because the copper additive is less than 1% and I think that this displaces the nickel content.

8000 pounds is probably a full cupola. It seems some of these "house blends" don't have enough demand to justify stocking, so they wait for the order and then know if they need to make sheet, rounds, or tube with it. If you catch the interest of a salesman, he might tell you who has purchased some recently where you may be able to find suitable drops or leftovers.

It amazes me that 304Cu is not sold by metal wholesalers!
It should cost the same as 304L.

Latest posts

Back