3020 CNC routing machine and Mach 3

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice work geek boy

I am actually using mine now to make money, I replaced all control cables after a week as they were terrible. Mine was also packed exactly the same as yours. after 6 months of daily use, mine will hold0 .02 mm every time. thats 2 microns. I use it to make parts for model aircraft and some special parts for sale to private clubs and its used every day. Buy the cam bam licence, its well worth it although you will have found that if you don't shut it down on the computer, then one use can last you days and you have 40 uses. I also bought the mach 3 software and the 2 together are working a treat. I have been using double sided carpet tape since I started. The smooth stuff, not the rough stuff. Your pocket will be fine for location. I use a 100mm square pocket with the bottom right corner set at x0z0. All you do then is have a series of templates that you fit into the corner and hey presto.

The machine is now 100% reliable, the steppers are fine and the blue box has given great service. I think the fan is now failing but as the box's only moving part, thats an easy fix.

Al

0.02mm is 20microns. That is still good for such a machine.

Sorry, an embarrassing typo

yes, .020 is 20 microns
.002 is 2 microns, i'm an engineer and i'm feeling daft for not checking my typing before I posted.

I really do know what a Micron is, honest..........:hDe: I used to sell optical shaft scanning machines capable of measuring to better than a tenth of a micron or .0001 as well as vision CMM's for a living working in metrology sales.

I vow to be more careful with the keyboard

Al.

Nice work geek boy

I am actually using mine now to make money, I replaced all control cables after a week as they were terrible. Mine was also packed exactly the same as yours. after 6 months of daily use, mine will hold0 .02 mm every time. thats 2 microns. I use it to make parts for model aircraft and some special parts for sale to private clubs and its used every day. Buy the cam bam licence, its well worth it although you will have found that if you don't shut it down on the computer, then one use can last you days and you have 40 uses. I also bought the mach 3 software and the 2 together are working a treat. I have been using double sided carpet tape since I started. The smooth stuff, not the rough stuff. Your pocket will be fine for location. I use a 100mm square pocket with the bottom right corner set at x0z0. All you do then is have a series of templates that you fit into the corner and hey presto.

The machine is now 100% reliable, the steppers are fine and the blue box has given great service. I think the fan is now failing but as the box's only moving part, thats an easy fix.

Al

Hi ilkleyal,

I took your advice and tried carpet tape in my pocket and the results are perfect, thanks!!!

I have been quite sick these last two weeks, but all these things I learn I will add to my blog. I have produced a few PCBs using the this method, it's great! I think for my needs the blue box is quite fine, I'm certain there are better setups, but this works great for me. I would be really interested to hear more about how you are using your CNC router to make money??

Guys
is possible to rebuild this router to 3d printer?
Would be good for casting patterns design ???

Guys
is possible to rebuild this router to 3d printer?
Would be good for casting patterns design ???

I've wondered the same thing. Seems like Z axis head room and travel would be the only concern.

I've recently began thinking about buying or building a 3D printer. They sure seem expensive for what they are...

Chuck

Chuck thank you for link.
In my country i can buy this router kits
http://www.agi.sk/katalog/cnc-stavebnice-a-zostavy
but routers are belt driven and i do not know
if belts are good for 3D job.
I would like to have soft material milling router which could be
easily modify to 3D printer /if it is possible/.
Then 3D printer prints from bottom up to top
but milling router mills from top to bottom.
Do i need two different softwares for printing and milling?
Kadora

I'm just learning about this myself, but I believe the you need different software that converts the drawing to machine movements. Here is a web site dedicated to converting CNC routers to 3d printers. It talks about an addon that's been created for MACH3.

http://cnc2printer3d.wordpress.com/software/

Chuck

Edit: You also need software control for the 4th axis that drives the extruder...

Back