302 Ford V8 in 1/3 scale

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is BEAUTIFUL work gbritnell :bow: would like to hear it run. BRI

Work of art , great work :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

gbritnell said:
The oil filter is made from brass. It is 2 pieces, the outer shell and the top piece which has the threads and oil ports. These were silver soldered together. Naturally with having to use heat to solder it there is no filtering material inside but the oil doesn't get that dirty. The graphics were done with rub-on letters. They are available at art and hobby stores. After painting and lettering the whole thing was clear coated. The oil from the pump does flow through the filter and then into the main oil galley. The filter has an 'O' ring for a seal up against the block.
gbritnell

Thanks for the info.

Ron

all i can say is WOW what work went into that . oh man simply wonderful and thank you very much for showing us this great master peice. very nice. (ok now you can box it up and send it to me any day now) jk

Beautiful work gbritnell! :bow: :bow: :bow:

Rick

gbritnell said:
At the time the engine was built there were no aftermarket plugs available and when I made mine I tapped the holes 1/4-28. Now that Rimfire makes very nice plugs I can't use them because they're 1/4-32.
I really don't want to make another set of heads just to suit the spark plugs.

gbritnell

Wow, awesome engine. Did you make the castings during lunch breaks? ;) I suppose if needed you could install 1/4-32 helicoils, if there is room.

:bow: :bow: gbritnell, :bow: :bow:

I'm speechless and awestruck

Regards

Philly

do you have any plans for it?this is truly a piece of art and clearly the work of a true machinist :bow: :bow: :bow:

I don't have any formal plans for this engine. When I built it I used engineering drawings for the large parts, block, heads, manifolds etc. The rest of the parts I measured from a full sized engine and made sketches. I have a big stack of paper with hand drawn parts with dimensions all over them. I have been asked quite a few times about drawings, maybe I'll start drawing a set up.
gbritnell

As with most of us in this hobby the machining aspect of it leads us into many other related or somewhat related endeavors, like welding, painting, casting etc. Well you get the idea.
Along with building engines I enjoy playing around with with photo editing programs. I have Photoshop on my main computer and on my old antique computer with Windows 98 I have Corel draw.

The Corel draw program, although it has it's own photo editing section, is used for making artwork type presentations, signs, cards, posters etc.

I recently got an advertisement online from a company called Vistaprint, as I'm sure many of us have. They had a deal that was too good to pass up for business cards so I tried them out.
After purchasing from them I got all kinds of come-on's for other products that they sell, so I took one of the pictures of my V-8 engine, shown earlier on and had a T-shirt made. It came out quite nicely but with it just being a picture it looked pasted on to the shirt.

I've had some time inside lately, terrible hot weather, so as a break from machining I thought I would spend a little time doing some photo and artwork creating to make a more professional looking T-shirt.
I first took some new pictures of my 302 and Holt engines and then started working on them. The first operation was to separate the background from the engine. This involves what is known as masking. You have to carefully paint over, electronically, with a mask to protect the picture. Once complete you can then separate the background from the object. After this step is done you can then enhance the picture by adjusting the contrast, brightness, shadows and colors.

I have done this to the 302 and Holt pictures. The next step will be to open them up in the Corel program and add some text.

Attached is what the new pictures look like after reworking. I also turned them into what's known as grayscale, or black and white. I thought these would also make an interesting shirt print.
gbritnell

302 MASK 3.jpg

302 MASK GRAY.jpg

HOLT NEW 1A 2.jpg

HOLT NEW 1A 2 GRAYSCALE.jpg

Hi gbritnell

If you are interested in transferring you plans to CAD drawings, i would be willing to help :) i am always looking to Find projects to improve my CAD skills. Only cost to you is sharing your plans with me, will do it completely free for you.

you should sell them as a kit I would love to have one to put build and get running.
Kevin Mays

Latest posts

Back