3 cylinder 1/4 scale Anzani Engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jennifer Edwards

Reaction score
Bridlington, East Riding of Yorkshire, UK
I just recieved my castings for this engine today, the drawings should be arriving tomorrow. I have about five or six weeks to go on the Cotswold Heritage beam engine I am building, so when I begin on this beauty I will post step by step updates of my build progress.

There are five castings in the "kit", two piece crank case, Distributer/oil pump/fuel tank mount, carberauter body, and the three exhaust elbows.

Mike, the builder I met at the show, used solid cast Iron for the cylinders, as opposed to iron sleved aluminium which is specified in the plans. I intend to do the same.

ZwWOzKqJS7OJGwhDYekXzg.jpg

Here is a photo of a finished engine I took at the Midlands Model Engineering show:

P1040908.jpg

Hello there
Where is possible to buy this kit ?
I wish you nice and smooth building work time.

Hello,
I will be watching this as I have also recently received the castings..I also got the one casting for the Gnome...I believe that the original engine had castings for the aluminum cylinders which are no longer available, so I agree that the cast iron cylinders is the way to go.....

Hi There,

Maybe we can keep each other posted to our progress. I do not see myself getting started until the end of January, as I still have quite a bit to do to get my Cotswold heritage beam engine completed.

I am also thinking of using bronze for the cylinders and making steel liners. I think that the bronze would look really good. My only concern is wether or not bronze would expand too much, causing liners to loose contact with the cylinder walls when the engine gets hot. I know it is quite expensive, but how often does one do a build like this?

Another thing is I may chuck the oil pump as designed and go for a gear type pump instead. It may be a bit more dificult to pull off but will provide a steadier more reliabe oil supply to the bearings.

Speaking of bearings, there is another decision to make: to substitute the bronze bushings for roller/needle bearings on the crank shaft ends.

There are so many decisions to make before getting started, and I am sure may more during the build. It is going to be good fun.

Mr. Chenery'sdrawings are true works of art, made by hand before CAD was invented. I want to preserve and frame the overview drawing for my shop wall.

Jenny

Hi Jenny,
I too am also working on a project now, the Bentley BR2..I have a ways to go on that and may start on this or one of the other projects just for a change..
Yes, the Chenery drawings are very nice, and so were his engine choices, I like all of them..
As far as the changes you want to make, that is what this hobby is all about..You should do anything that you think is right, and see how that works, and that is how we all learn and benefit as we follow your posts..It sounds like you already have a handle on it, am I am for one interested in seeing your progress..
Joe

Joe,

I have arranged to visit with the guy who has that engine after the holidays at which time I can provide quite a few more detailed images.
Also I have purchased the back issues of ME that feature John Chenery’s article about his build. Half of them have already arrived. Between the two sources it should help the build progress smoothly.

Hi Jennifer,
Having all the available info before starting the project is a great help..It allows you to see which way you will go before you start making chips..Also, having the original building article is a good thing no matter what your skill level, because it is good to see how another person would tackle a particular part, and even if you never use it, it adds to your knowledge..
I don't know if you know this, but the Chenery Gypsy and Aeronca castings are also available..They are very nice engines also.....
Joe

I got the plans but do not know how to acquire the casting. I am going to build one way or the other but rather have the casting. The drawing are excellent but assuming one has the casting on hand there is no reason for describe the shape in detail. I find myself struggling visualizing the shape of the inside of the crankcase.

If the casting are available I like to have a contact, please.

Hi Jennifer, need some insight on the Anzani lubrication.
The oil enters the front and travel through the crankshaft to the big end then it leaks out and get twirled around until gravity takes over.
The camshaft has oil passages, but how does the oil find its way to the tiny hole that is high in the crankcase.
Where does the oil pump takes the oil from? There is a threaded hole at the bottom front bui is plugged as a drain plug. Looks like that would be a good spot to pipe to the oil pump inlet.

Had no luck finding the casting but will machine them from solid to challenge the limit of my skill.

Latest posts

Back