3.5" gauge live steam locomotive (first build!)

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Right, here is a few photos to show what I have done recently regarding the frames and a good excuse to showcase a few bits that I have made (rather than older parts 'inherited' from the previous builer)

Firstly, here are the new frames all drilled and held together with brand new stretchers along with brand new gunmetal axle boxes and phosphor bronze rocker bearings:

64191012Newframes.jpg

Next are the new axle boxes for the leading bogie (truck):

64191912Newaxleboxes.jpg

And lastly, here are all the parts thrown together:

64191012Newchassis.jpg

There was an unfortunate case of 'chatter' when reaming out the holes on the main axle boxes. Other than that is all went rather smoothly which was a nice change! I've also made sure to drill all the holes required in the frames so there is no reason to keep disassembling them for more holes later one (hopefully)

The next task now is to re-attach the cylinders, after some more fettling to ensure that they will fit the new frames okay. The next update should hopefully show a chassis that can run on air (again)!

Hi, you might be a little confused and wondering why a woman should be interested in trains, moreover, train modelling! Well, my 71 year old dad was a train "driver" for many years in Mozambique. He worked with steam engines for many years and then went on to work with diesel and electric engines. The reason I'm posting this message (and it's an absolute first for me!) is I'm looking for a way to get second hand parts/models, whatever I can get my hands on, so my dad can build a model of his own. We came across your gorgeous model and my dad was absolutely stunned at the detail! Where can we find parts/kits my dad could then use to build? He knows how to work with iron/metal and so he can build a lot of the parts but there are certain things he won't be able to. Thanks for posting your lovely pictures...Well done! ;)

Back