3.1/2" Class 9F EveningStar loco, missing information on drawings

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dom

Reaction score
Good evening all,
I have decided to take the plunge and build a 3.1/2" gauge class 9f locomotive (which my wife is thrilled about, obviously) I have purchased the drawings by LBSC and the book by Martin Evans but there seems to details omitted in both. I think the problem is that the builder is expected to use castings and so certain details are left un-dimensioned as they will simply be "as cast." This causes me a problem as i want to use as few castings as i can get away with.

The first problem i have come to is the main stretchers, the only drawings for which are included within the frame drawings.
1. According to the drawing there is an un dimensioned gap between the stretcher and RHS frame. I cannot see any reason for this gap and believe it would prevent the main stretcher from supporting the main frame.

2. The webs of the front main stretcher appear to be offset but again there are no dimensions and i cannot measure off the drawing as although they appear to be 1:1 check measurements show they are all over the place.

3. The drawings show no method of attachment of the stretchers to the main frame.

Im happy to design the stretchers myself to within the outside dimensions given, but would rather do them true to scale if anybody can shed any light. I can post a scan of the drawing but not sure how that works with copyright.

If anyone can help id be most grateful, or if you know of a forum this would be more suited to again let me know;

Regards Dom

Latest posts

Back