24 pounder

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kactiguy

Reaction score
My son and I just finished up our first metal project together. It is a 1/20th scale model of a 24-pounder canon from the U.S. Constitution. We got the plans from Birk (Oldmechthings). They are from an old Popular Mechanics magazine, but I don't the year or issue. For being new at this hobby, it was a fun project and we learned a lot. It was fun to see my son show an interest in it. Now he wants to build a finger treadle engine next. He might be hooked.

This is Calvin working the lathe for the first time. It is an old Craftsman that lives in my dad's workshop a few blocks away.
canoncalvin.jpg

canonturning.jpg

And here it is finished.
canon24lbs.jpg

canon24lbs2.jpg

I hope this is the right place to post this. Maybe we need a section to post non engine related projects?

Not to come across like a safety nazi or something, but I was just drilling something today in the tailstock and had a chip fly in my eye. I am pretty good about wearing glasses, and making sure my kids do too, but this was one of those "hurry-up" jobs. Its great that he is interested in this stuff, just play safe.

My two cents,

Brian

Back