2 things I have to ask...

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charlesfitton

Reaction score
I have a stuart 10V that I purchased locally, a truly beautiful little engine. After much fussing about I built an adaptor (couldn't match the thread size) but all is good now and it's loosening up nicely.

If I want to take it apart to apply a bit of paint - should I use locking pliers, or a small adjustable (measuring wrench) and a mid-sized hammer?

(The real question is - where do you get tiny wrenches?)

(The other question will be in the plans section)

thanks,

f

Was taught you only use pliers on a fastener you are throwing away. One way to make a small wrench is to use a socket head allen screw. By turning down the head it will allow you to get in a tight space. If you want to get fancy you can braze the allen head to a shaft to make a small wrench.

You can purchase small tools from www.[B]micromark[/B].com/

With the stuart models they are typically BA threads (British Association) and have their own wrenches. I found a place that carries the small wrenches here in Canada called Princes Auto. They carry imperial and metric sizes. The combo of the two seem to cover the BA range. Sometimes you can get the old style ignition point wrench set thou they are rare.

What portlandron said about the socket head cap screws are great for wrenches particularly if you can get imperial and metric ones.

Sears and McMaster Carr sell 10 pc. combination ignition wrench sets that go down to 5/32 and a metric set that goes down to I think 2mm.

John

Latest posts

Back