2 MM Metric left hand threads for wood lathe

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just got a wood lathe to turn Pens, all the extra parts and a lot of Blanks, the lathe had fallen over at some time in its past the handle on the tail stock would wobble so decided to cut a new threaded quill, it was 2 MM Metric with left hand threads, you can see the black one has a slight bend on the end, left a little up set on the new one for make up for some wear in the tail stock bushing, cut this on a HF mini lathe, only about my fourth time to cut metric threads, it was fun.

Tails Stock Assb..jpg

Tail Stock Spindle.jpg

Tail Stock Parts.jpg

thanks for the compliment and for the correction, guess I should have stated that it was a 2 MM thread and left what I did not know out, not knowing all about it still got it working better, I will do better next time with the proper wording and dimensions, will admit I am not sharp on the Metric method yet, but does not attempt me not to try, thanks, Lathe Nut

Last edited:
Very nice work .
What cutter did you use .

Usually when I have to cut a left hand thread , I put a right hand cutter upside down and run the feed in reverse . Looks odd , but does work .

Btw , metric threads are identified as follows .
For std threads say M12 . Nominal diam is 12mm , pitch is 1.75mm .
For std threads the pitch is omitted , and the operator has to know what the std pitch is .
For a non std thread : example M16*1.00 would mean a nominal diam of 16mm with a pitch of 1mm .

Hope this helps .

Pat

I will do better next time with the proper wording and dimensions, will admit I am not sharp on the Metric method yet, but does not attempt me not to try, thanks, Lathe Nut

You did a great job, it's just a difference in the nomenclature. When I was reading your original post I misunderstood what you were making and expected to see a 2mm major diameter single pointed, left hand threaded 'something' (what a horribly difficult thing to make that would be!). I run into trouble when I attempt to describe things in thou as I'm more comfortable in metric - it's just what you get used to.

Thanks guys for understanding that I don't understand, it's like I don't really understand but got the results, that might make me have a head ache, did some looking up on metric threads and the nomenclature, probably easier than ours is but stragenmitsuko make gave a great example, only have to cut them when It is a last resort, this was one, I did make a spider for the HF mini lathe the other day, I make the male parts and used one of the nuts until I got a tight fit then machined the female until the stud fit, guess that is called cave man style, all in learning, thanks for the help and understanding of my knowledge of Metric.

Cammer my school house did not even have Metric and much less anything else, we were look and learn and don't speak around growed up people, Happy New year up there, it got to 17 degrees here like to kill us southern folks ?

When I saw the title, I thought: "Where could possibly be a 2mm screw in a wood lathe" Then the picture made it instantly clear it was a 2mm pitch. Sometime we got to read between the lines.

Latest posts

Back