1943 Baldwin Narrow Gauge 2-8-2 1:20.3 Scale

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fuelrush

Reaction score
This is my scratch design and build. I'm sure progress won't be very fast, but I'll update as often as I can.

IMG_0882small.jpg

Side View - Working out Walchaerts valve gear.

IMG_0911small.jpg

Top Down View - Getting the running gear and cylinder alignments setup.

IMG_0896small.jpg

Pattern for wheels - Probably a practice pattern.

IMG_0912small.jpg

Pattern cut out. Needs machining.

That looks like an interesting and ambitious project. Looking forward to seeing it come together.
Dennis

Being a steam locomotive nut, and am currently helping disassemble a 12":1' scale 2-8-2T Mikado engine. So I have a soft spot in my head, errrrr heart for Mike's .... especially since I'm it's namesake .... :big:

I'll be following your build with interest. I aspire to build a 1-1/2" live steamer in the future myself !!

Mike

Oh yeah... count me as an enthusiastic member of the audience too. ;D

Me too! (panting like dog) :big: :big: :big:

Ron

Cant wait to see this one come together I love a steam locomotive. I cannot presently remember the wheel arrangement of the narrow gauge loco at Dollywood in Tennessee but I go to ride in the cab once! Wow :big: I was like a child. Would you mind explaining the presence of the wooden wheel? I am new at this game.

compressor man said:
Cant wait to see this one come together I love a steam locomotive. I cannot presently remember the wheel arrangement of the narrow gauge loco at Dollywood in Tennessee but I go to ride in the cab once! Wow :big: I was like a child. Would you mind explaining the presence of the wooden wheel? I am new at this game.

IMG_1229small.jpg

You had the pleasure of riding in a Baldwin 2-8-2 Mikado! Dollywood operates two Baldwin Mikes (this season will be the first time they will have 3 Baldwin Mikes running!!!!) and its highly possible it was the 190 Class number 192 "Klondike Katie." All Dollywood's engines are from the White Pass & Yukon railroad in Alaska. If it wasn't Katie you road in "Cinder-ella." Just so happens my particular model is of the the 190 Class and Katie is my best subject!

The wooden wheel is used at a pattern for sandcasting. The wood leaves its shape in the sand and molten metal is poured in filling the shape/pattern. Then you have a metal replica of the part. That's simplified, but gives you the idea. Check out the casting forum for more details if your interested.

I like where this build is going!

You might find some interest in the fact that the company I work for built driver springs for the Dollywood loci in 2006. The drawings I made are for a 1943 Baldwin N gauge.

Not only that, but just this morning we shipped a job (4 leaf springs) to the White Pass & Yukon Route! Not sure which loci they are for.

Great fun to be involved in such history...

Latest posts

Back