12L14 Uses

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Forum.

Just a question to the forum...........what do you use 12L14 for, cams, cranks, cyl liners etc.? 12L14 vs cast iron? I'm talking about 1" or smaller bore engines running anywhere from 1000 to 6000 RPM . I've always used cast iron for liners and hot or cold rolled steel for cams and cranks, 12L14 would be so much easier to machine...

Thanks
MikeG

I have use tons of 12L14 for axles works great
The axles was used for Aircraft Hangar Doors up to 747 size

Dave

Last edited:
For small Model it will work great.
I save some for my Model building and tooling.

It machines like aluminum but stronger. Fast cutting great for threading.
If read the data sheet it hard to weld just heat above 800°F [426°C] Brazing is very easy.

Dave

PS: Just remember it is not for use food it has lead.
Where at no shops will stock this bar since all most all shops work for food industry.

Hi Forum.

Just a question to the forum...........what do you use 12L14 for, cams, cranks, cyl liners etc.? 12L14 vs cast iron? I'm talking about 1" or smaller bore engines running anywhere from 1000 to 6000 RPM . I've always used cast iron for liners and hot or cold rolled steel for cams and cranks, 12L14 would be so much easier to machine...

Thanks
MikeG

Thanks Steve

In the past I've made my cranks and cams from hot or cold rolled, now I'll make the cranks and cyl liners with 12L14 (much cleaner) and continue making the cams from either drill rod or hot/cold rolled steel. Thank you for your guidance. Again, what a group!!

MikeG

Stress Proof 1144 is great it is stronger The 12L14 is lower cost. Some may want to look at 1215 it is lowest in cost.

Dave

PS: I use all three 1215, 12L14 and 1144

I make crankshafts using 1144SP. It cuts like leaded steel but is stress relieved so it doesn't warp as it's being machined.

Just do not use it for Steam, I had a rust problem with it in a few engines running them on live steam instead of air. Sure do like the way it machines though.

Dale

The good news for type of engines that build here any will work
Myself I use 12L14 or 1215.
1144 would work well for engines running everyday.

Dave

Thanks all.
Nobody has spoken about camshafts..........1144, 12L14, hot or cold rolled steel? I enjoy the discussion .

Thanks
MikeG

For the UK reader, 12L14 is leaded EN1A free machining mild steel. It machines very nicely but is soft and neither strong, nor corrosion resistant. It is my general-purpose 'cooking' steel. I consider it unsuitable for anything but the lightest duty cams, and I would not use it for liners either.

The engines here are models.
If I am make a long run engine . For long run engine I used at least 1144 most likely 4140.
In pass for long run cams gears I used 1144.
Cylinder liners for long used a low grade cast iron, cylinder for long time was class 25 so using 12L14 is a upgrade for cylinders

Dave

For the UK reader, 12L14 is leaded EN1A free machining mild steel. It machines very nicely but is soft and neither strong, nor corrosion resistant. It is my general-purpose 'cooking' steel. I consider it unsuitable for anything but the lightest duty cams, and I would not use it for liners either.

My goal for an engine build is to make it run. After I have an engine built and running to my satisfaction it goes on the shelf and I start designing the next one. None of my engines are used for anything useful other than keeping me out of the bars. The thrill is in the build and debugging.
Therefor I use 12L14 for about anything that isn't brass, aluminum, or cast iron. It is cheap and easy to machine.

The is great stock to use
I have hundreds pounds of hex stock.
They also make free machining stainless steel that great to use.

There a are types of steel I would avoid 400 type stainless steel, D2 tool steel and A1 tool steel. They are so mush fun one miss stake and they are harder than rock.

Dave

My goal for an engine build is to make it run. After I have an engine built and running to my satisfaction it goes on the shelf and I start designing the next one. None of my engines are used for anything useful other than keeping me out of the bars. The thrill is in the build and debugging.
Therefor I use 12L14 for about anything that isn't brass, aluminum, or cast iron. It is cheap and easy to machine.

There a are types of steel I would avoid 400 type stainless steel, D2 tool steel and A1 tool steel. They are so mush fun one miss stake and they are harder than rock.

Interesting - I have not had any experience with any of these, unless A1 is equivalent to A2. The latter I have used for a few projects, and never had any trouble machining it - and it hardens beautifully. But as best I recall, though I have drilled A2, I've never tapped it - that might be a test of its work-hardening characteristics.

Back