123 Blocks

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Omnimill

Reaction score
I bought what I thought was a bargain at a recent model engineering show - a boxed and still wrapped pair of Moore and Wright 123 blocks at £10. Trouble is they have imperial threads, 5/16" something or other! I needed to use these the other day so I had to drill out one of the holes to pass some 8mm studding through. Although quite hard they couldn't resist the 8mm glass drill I have, but I was wondering how hard these things are? If possible I'd like to replace the 5/16" threads with M10 ones if possible.

Vic.

Gosh, 169 views and no comments. Anyone got any ideas for me, or am I left with just drilling out the 5/16" tapped holes? :Doh:

Vic.

HI well my 123 blocks I made when serving my time and had to be hardend then ground to size. but as for yours i wood not attempt to tap them as you had to drill them out with the glass drill you had they. will be just as hard as the tap you cud av a go at softening them back up by heating them up and letting them cool dawn slowly

I'll talk to you Vic.

I have two sets of those blocks, and yes they do have a weird thread in them, not the normal metric. Both of mine are the same, one cheapo set, and the other an expensive one. Both measure up exactly the same, so I think it is just a matter of charging you double the money for a name.

As you most probably already know, they won't bolt together because the unthreaded holes are made a smidgin too small for the bolts to go thru. I tried to open them out with diamond coated drills, to no avail, both sets are hard as glass. I haven't tried anything else as yet, but I will do in the future, otherwise it is off to my mate with them, and get them spark eroded out.

BTW, the expensive set did come with four cap screws of the correct thread and length to fix them together, but because they don't go thru the plain holes, they are no use to man nor beast. I complained to MSC about it, and they told me to keep them and refunded my money. So they weren't that expensive after all. Maybe they know something we don't.

Bogs

Thanks for that guys, sounds like I'll just drill the other holes out to 8mm as I need them and bolt right through.

Vic.

Lew,

The problem is that even though some of the holes are already tapped, the remainder of the holes in the blocks are not large enough to pass a threaded bolt thru.

John S described the problem many moons ago.

When the far east started to make and supply them, they made a big faux pas, and didn't make the holes the right size. So like all far eastern stuff, millions of sets have been made and sold with this problem.

One day, the penny will drop, and they will realise their mistake and put it right, but until then, you are stuck with blocks that won't bolt together, so really they are just odd shaped parallels, rather than being a bolt together angle plate, or t plate or anything else your brain can come up with.

Bogs

Bogs

It's a pretty universal problem - mine are exactly the same.

My 2-4-6 blocks have a problem in that the holes are too big for my threading tackle. I made up inserts with an M10 thread for use with M10 cap screws:

steamdave said:
I have a set of 2-4-6 blocks that I mainly use for mounting items that need to have faces machined perpendicular to each other.

Some of the holes in the blocks are plain, the others are tapped 5/8", bigger than any threading tackle I have, and also a thread system I don't use.

I have standardised on 10mm for the holding down bolts on my milling machine, so to improve the versatility of the blocks, I have made up a set of 4 10mm threaded inserts to go in the 5/8" threaded holes. A screwdriver slot on one end makes them easy to insert/remove.

I have also made up a pair of bars, tapped 10mm in one and 10mm clear in the other that can hold the two blocks together if required. The 2 blocks don't necessarily have to be used together, this is just an extra facility. Longer bolts can pass through the plain hole to secure a block to the table.

The first pic shows the 4 threaded inserts and the bars used to secure the 2 blocks together on the short sides.
004cln.jpg

The second picture shows the two blocks held together on the long sides. The 10mm screws are secured inside the blocks by long hex wrenches.
005kil.jpg

The same principle could be used on the 1-2-3 blocks.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

Dave
The Emerald Isle

Lew Hartswick said:
It seems to me the obvious solution is just use inch bolts if they are taped inch.
...lew...

I only use metric fasteners Lew and I'm not about to start buying Imperial stuff - even if I could get them easily :)

Vic.

stupid noobie question coming......

what are these blocks used for?

;D

Ian

They are kind of like Lego's... being 1x2x3 inches and having tapped holes and clear holes (In theory.. apparently the clear holes don't always clear the bolts, LOL) you can mix and match and bolt things to them to hold stuff for machining, or to support stuff or angle stuff or... about a bazzilion other things. Stack the sides to hit about any even inch increment... need 4 inches? Stack them on the 2" side... need 3? Stack a 2" side on a 1" side, etc.

Useful bits to have on hand.

techonehundred said:
Only in a Crazy mixed up mind of a Machinist would exist the notion of wanting a 1" x 2" x 3" block tapped with metric Threads. :big:

Thats me :big:

Vic.

Bogstandard said:
One day they will come.

25 - 50 - 75 blocks, and you can be sure they will have metric threads.

In fact, I am very surprised it hasn't happened well before now.

Bogs

Having never come across 1-2-3 blocks until this thread popped up, and now seeing them everywhere, it did cross my mind "are there metric versions"? Obviously not if John hasn't seen them. I do have a Vertex catalogue, I may just go and have a look........

Pete

Bogstandard said:
Tech,

One day they will come.

25 - 50 - 75 blocks, and you can be sure they will have metric threads.

In fact, I am very surprised it hasn't happened well before now.

Bogs
Should make em cheeper too, less material.
...lew...

Hi guys

OK, enough talk. Who is going to be the first one to make a pair of 25mm x 50mm x 75mm blocks and using metric threads? :big:

Cheers :)

Don

I made a pair of half-size 1-2-3 blocks, i.e., 0.5-1-1.5, and they've turned out to be very handy, used by themselves or in combination with the 1-2-3 blocks.

If you're going to set up to make blocks, consider making a half-size set while you're at it.

Back