$12 Shay ride

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave G

Reaction score
My wife, daughter, son-in-law and myself took a train ride this past weekend. I have always wanted to ride in a train powered by a Shay locomotive and this past weekend I got my wish. This is one of the Shays used on the Cass Scenic Railway in Cass, West Virginia. This is an old logging operation in use from 1900 to 1960. In the early sixties the state of WV
took over the railroad and turned it into a scenic excursion up to the logging camp and on up to the top of Bald Knob Mtn.
elev. 4730'. This pic shows the crew taking on water from a natural spring about halfway up the mtn.
DSCN0501.jpg

And another one chugging up the moutain.
DSCN0486.jpg

If you enjoy getting sprayed with soot and ash then this is the trip for you.

Did that ride last Oct at Cass. Double-heading (2 engines running at same time coupled together) up the grade engines pushing. I got to ride for at least an hour in the cab of Shay #5 right behind big Shay #6 (largest Shay ever built, maybe the last one built too ?) What a thrill !! :big:

Yup, soot & ash all over the place, though not too bad in the cab :D I'd do it all over again !! th_wav

Mike

Back