$10 IKEA LED machine light

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shred

Reaction score
I got dragged around an Ikea not long ago and discovered some interesting LED "work lamps":

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20169658

They're a high-power one-LED lamp, about 1.25" diameter on the end of a couple feet of that bendable-conduit stuff with a wall-wart power supply. Ditching the base (looks like a chunk of really low-quality cast-iron), there's a couple screws and tapped standoffs in the end of the bendable bit. I drilled the plate on a spare hard-drive magnet and bolted it on.

It works well-- bright white light, well focused and far less susceptible to burnout and breakage as the bulb-based machine lights. Bonus is you don't accidentally roast the back of your hand if you get get too close. Plus, if you do send the slitting-saw-of-death through the cord or dunk it in coolant, you won't get fried...

Now how much would you pay??? :D

> How much would you payt?

Actually the equivalent in euros. I got one too, and indeed like it. BTW it also has a brother with a clamp base. I was even too laze to modify the base.

One model serves the lathe and one the mill.

Actually, I wasn't sure which model would suit me best, and for the price, I really did not want to have to go to IKEAs again!

Nice find Shred and fortunately there is a new IKEA just up the road from where I work and on my way home. They are showing it in stock, hard to go wrong at $10. Might be just the thing for some much needed direct light on my Sherline benchtop equipment. I can forsee a slight detour this afternoon :big:

Bill

IKEA must be nuts, web sit says not available on internet and only in stores. I would be happy to buy one or two, but am not going to travel 600 miles to see if it is in stock at a local store! john

Yeah, not being able to order it online is goofy. I don't know why that might be.

Edit: Hey, business opportunity-- buy up a stack and take 'em to NAMES... er, first check there isn't an Ikea nearby :D :D

I stopped by IKEA this afternoon and they must have had at least 2 pallets of them on the floor so I picked up 2 while I was there. Should have gotten 3 as the wife has already claimed one. Typical import product but they look nice enough and worked right out of the box with minimal assembly. I aimed one over the Sherline lathe and took a light off picture and then a light on picture. Should have found these before...maybe I can turn out some decent parts now ;D

Bill

Edit: It is a shame they don't sell them online. I'm just lucky to have a store about 2 miles away. Never set foot in the place until today...take your walking shoes...its HUGE!!

IMG_0541.JPG

IMG_0542.JPG

I'd just like to thank Bill for posting the info about these IKEA LED lamps.
Have just bought 4 at the Croydon store, London and they seem to have plenty in stock.
it looks like the black ones have been selling the fastest but there are several other colours to chose from.

John

John, the credit goes to Shred, I wouldn't have known about it other than his post. Glad you nabbed a few though :)

Bill

Thanks Bill, I should have paid more attention. I hope Shred's not too miffed by my indiscretion! :-[

Latest posts

Back