1" Bore x 1" Stroke Vertical i.c. Engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kicked the calculator... (Solar powered, and only works in good light) and it confirms my calculation was just a bit off. 0.406" IS a bit weird! - doesn't match the known measurement system of this amateur...
K2

Today seen the cylinder head drilled for intake and exhaust ports, and the muffler, carb adapter and carburetor mounted to the cylinder head. The oil filler tube was machined, along with the brass screw-on filler cap. I drove up north to see my 100 year old mother today, but she is fading badly. The nursing home is all locked down under Covid rules, and I had to get a test earlier in the week to confirm that I didn't have it.
fTXVJ8.jpg

I'm doing a bit of assembly this morning, and these three shots are interesting. In the bottom of the main bearing cavity in this half of the gearcase, you will see the heads of four #6 flat head capscrews. They pass thru the gearcase and attach a steel ring on the outside of the gearcase. The plate with the handle on it is the plate to which the ignition points are attached. Screwing the handle in locks the points mounting plate in place. Unscrewing the handle half a turn lets me rotate that plate while the engine is running. Since the ignition points are attached to this plate, this lets me advance or retard the ignition timing while the engine is running.
3Iv7eZ.jpg

qRUnjo.jpg

JZaHEo.jpg

Hi Brian, Some of us are also in similar situations re: elderly parents. My Mother is 99 and going well - in a care home - with Dementia and has been deaf since I can remember (60+ years) so phones and Skype are no use... The care home is 8 ~12 hours drive - or a 1 hour flight, but with the current COVID quarantine we must stay within 5 miles of home and only allowed out for Essential journeys. (2 a week to supermarket! + 1 last week to clinic for a vaccination). With a lack of available flights and accommodation we haven't seen her for 13 months, not that she knows anyway. I guess we are all going a bit stir crazy in our own ways by now....
Makes me wonder what the new "Normal" will be when COVID is behind us? = Maybe a bit "wild" like the 1920s Flappers or late 1960s Flower Power? A major financial depression? - No point even thinking about it either way! - Back to the Garage!
;)
K2

Elvis has not left the building---Elvis has struggled all day with cams and tappets. I don't make cams often enough to have all the steps memorized. Basically, that means that every time I make a cam, I have to refer to a bunch of notes I have made and try to decipher what I actually meant when I wrote them. Here we have one cam, setting in place with a mushroom head tappet. Tomorrow I will make the second cam. Piece of cake, now that I have refreshed all my memories by making the first cam.
Q1XlK5.jpg

Brian, I also have the same problem, also with gear cutting, I just don't do enough of them anymore to remember it all
Cheers
Andrew

Hi Brain, - oops! (typo). Brian. Perhaps (when you have an idle moment? - Ha!) you can attach some of the deciphered notes on cam-machining? - I would have to start with a circle - then use a BIG File! (+ marking blue, DTI and cam follower...). So will find it very interesting. Or maybe include with plans for the engine - then I'll buy those.
K2

And now we have two finished, hardened, oil quenched cams. That cam nearest the front looks a bit ragged on the edge, but it's not. The macro setting on my camera finds little flaws so small that they can't be seen by the naked eye. I have to go out to the hardware store and look at the paint color chart for Tremclad paint, and then it's almost crankshaft time.
YDNym2.jpg

Uh-Oh--Something just happened. I was happily milling away a whole lot of 1144 stress-proof that wasn't going to be part of the crankshaft. Milling machine just stopped---lost all power. First I looked for the ratty little glass fuse that my old mill had, but this mill doesn't seem to have any separate little glass fuse. Next I checked the breaker in my electrical box.---It was okay. I don't know if the motor has a thermal overload cut out or not.---Doesn't have any visible reset button. Well, Poop!!! I didn't feel that much like working anyways, but I have to figure out what is happening with the mill before I can do any more.

I'll talk to their technician in Toronto tomorrow morning. It may be something simple like a reset button on the motor, but I don't see anything. It's not a huge deal to take the mill to Toronto for repair, but it's a giant pain in the xxxx to get the mill from my shop out to my garage where it can be loaded into my truck.

I just spoke to the technician at BusyBee and he said that the problem is 99% sure to be an "electronic board" that controls the motor. The board is only about $12.00, and he said that it should be quite simple to repair myself, so he is express shipping it up to me. Seeing that it is such a major undertaking to move my mill, I think this will be the best thing to do, and I can repair the mill "in place". Right now I'm suffering from terrible arthritis pain in my wrists, forearms, and hands, so if I take a break for a couple of days I won't feel terribly bad about it. I had an x-ray of both hands the day before yesterday, and am supposed to have a blood test on Monday. I've had minor arthritis for years, but nothing compared to this. Ironically, the mill broke down on the very last part for this new engine, the crankshaft.

I'm, setting here typing with a wrist brace on both right and left arms. There seems to be some confusion whether my suffering is arthritis or carpal tunnel syndrome. I've had carpal tunnel issues before, but there was no pain or swelling involved, just numb and tingly fingers. Ultimately, the numbness and tingly fingers went away on it's own. My good wife, who always seems to know more than I do about most things, has declared that I am suffering from carpal tunnel syndrome. The doctor hasn't weighed in on this issue yet, and is waiting for me to have a blood test on Monday. I've only had these wrist braces on for about 4 hours today, and I must admit that my hands do feel better than the day before. I had to go to my local hardware store to buy some ice melting salt for my concrete steps, and while I was there, I looked at the color charts for Tremclad paint. The choice came down to either cyan (sky blue) or fire red, so I went with the red. I plan on painting the gas tank, gear cover, flywheel, and the rocker arms and rocker arm support tower. The rest of the engine will remain either aluminum color or brass color, with no painted finish. I think that the fan and it's support will be semi gloss black.----Brian
MGPa9N.jpg

I'm, setting here typing with a wrist brace on both right and left arms. There seems to be some confusion whether my suffering is arthritis or carpal tunnel syndrome. I've had carpal tunnel issues before, but there was no pain or swelling involved, just numb and tingly fingers. Ultimately, the numbness and tingly fingers went away on it's own. My good wife, who always seems to know more than I do about most things, has declared that I am suffering from carpal tunnel syndrome. The doctor hasn't weighed in on this issue yet, and is waiting for me to have a blood test on Monday. I've only had these wrist braces on for about 4 hours today, and I must admit that my hands do feel better than the day before. I had to go to my local hardware store to buy some ice melting salt for my concrete steps, and while I was there, I looked at the color charts for Tremclad paint. The choice came down to either cyan (sky blue) or fire red, so I went with the red. I plan on painting the gas tank, gear cover, flywheel, and the rocker arms and rocker arm support tower. The rest of the engine will remain either aluminum color or brass color, with no painted finish. I think that the fan and it's support will be semi gloss black.----Brian
MGPa9N.jpg
If you have carpal tunnel, you may wish to consult with an accupucturist. Accupuncture Might help, but if it is arthritis, I thimk it would not help.

I think it will be nice to see this engine with some paint, it's not often we see paint on your engines.
Nice work all around & hope the wrist pain eases off for you.

John

Latest posts

Back