1" Bore x 1" Stroke Vertical i.c. Engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have you tried that hi temp paint that you bake in oven for a while? I used some years ago and was impressed

JBern-I sell the complete drawing package for $25 Canadian funds. There are 50 individual drawings. Go to Paypal and pay $25 Canadian to [email protected] Paypal will contact me, then I send a .zip file of pdf drawings to you.---Brian

So, we're all finished up here. This is the final video. The engine runs very well and has been a very nice build. Good luck to all of you who have purchased a set of plans. I may take the rest of the summer off now, as I have developed quite bad carpal tunnel syndrome in my hands, so I want to stay out of the machine shop for an extended period of time until it clears up.---Brian Rupnow

Brian - if I may ask - any idea what caused your carpal tunnel problems?

The place I retired from had mandatory ergonomics training once a year and while they went beyond the usual keyboard things the vast majority of the ergonomics classes talk about, the emphasis was on the keyboard. They talked about it from using wire cutters all day and programming in rest breaks to stretch. In real life (not work) though, the only two people I know who have had carpal tunnel surgery were both on a cane and it was from bending their wrist backward too much.

It doesn't seem like turning the wheels on the mill or lathe would lead to CTS.

I've had carpal tunnel problems in the past, and it is affected by how much you are moving and flexing your hands. I used to build hot-rods basically from scratch, and as in machining there is a tremendous amount of flexing and use of the hands. Some people get it, some don't. I know that when I had it bad about 15 years ago it was bad enough that I was offered corrective surgery. I declined to have the surgery, and after about 3 months of relative "rest" it went away. I expect that with a couple of months rest that it will go away this time as well.

FWIW, I started to suspect a genetic link a while ago: some folks will get it much easier than others.

I get tennis elbow regularly. There are exercises that reduce it and prevent it (physical therapists give you these), and naturally, I get busy and don't remember to do them. It's just another kind of tendinitis, in a different place.

For what it's worth: in 1990 or so I had quite some pain in my right arm, I think due to too much playing with the computer mouse: a myriad of small movements of the hand to steer the mouse to the right pixel. One evening I did some heavy hand sawing of oak wood with the -for me- astonishing result that all the pain was mostly gone. Maybe this strange fenomenon (small pixel movements against heavy sawing) can help you with your carpal tunnel problems. Have a nice day. F. van Dijk

I had my right carpal tunnel surgery when i was 35 (after working as a dealership mechanic for 16 years - don't use your hands for hammers!).
My left wrist was done at 60.
It was easy surgery and now both are fine.
Scott

Charles--That is not "tick over". It's way faster than I'm happy with. Ultimately I want to play with the ignition timing and the carburetor settings and get it to idle at about 2/3 of what you see in that video.

So, we're all finished up here. This is the final video. ---Brian Rupnow

Hi Brian, having had the same carpal tunnel problem - from the computer mouse and wrong sitting position back in the 1980s, when the mouse first became available (The upside-down roller-ball on a wire!). It does take a few months to recover, so enjoy doing everything else, except playing with the mouse!
On the model, I just love it! You are well worth reading and watching every day of the week. - Pity they don't put you on TV and give you the loads of money you deserve. I must order some plans.
Thankyou for your presentation from start to finish.
K2

Steamchick--I email the plans to you in a .zip file. There are no costs involved other than what you pay me for the plans.---Brian

THIS POST HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY REMOVED UNTIL I GET IT FIGURED OUT A BIT MORE.--APRIL 06-2021

Last edited:
Hi Brian, to accommodate the compromise between smooth low power at low revs and good high power at high revs most modern engines have Inlet can advance mechanisms. Obviously easy with a twin can engine, and too difficult with yours, but (like Triumph motorcycles in the late 1950s and early 1960s) different cam lifts and timing are quite common for engines needing to do different tasks. I agree advancing your cam 1 tooth is a very simple improvement to overcome the inlet blow-back issue you have detected.
How did you determine the valve lift profile and valve timing in the first place? Did you model it on CAD? Maybe a different cam-follower profile can change system action from the inlet cam when you know better what you want? (A colleague who raced cars was always playing with follower profiles as they have a big effect on the lift from the cam: Triumph Motorcycles used a dozen or so different radii on their cam-followers, depending on the "tuning" of the bike).
Interesting stuff!
K2

T When the engine is running at a fast idle, as seen in the videos, I can feel definite blasts of air coming out of the carburetor as the engine runs. What does this tell me??--It tells me that the cam timing is off, and that the intake valve is staying open too long during the power stroke. So--We get ignition, the burning fuel mix expands rapidly as it is ignited, and for an instant before the piston moves downward on the power stroke the intake valve is still open for a fraction of a second, letting compression escape thru the carburetor throat.
I think there may be a flaw in your argument. The inlet may be closing a bit late in the compression stroke, but if it were still open at the point of ignition, then there would not have been any compression.

On the other hand, if the inlet opens too early in the later part of the exhaust stroke, you may have too much overlap, and be blowing some exhaust out of the inlet.

Early events would tend to favour higher speeds, late ones lower.

Brian: Did you retard the camshaft or just the inlet cam? Is that crank degrees or camshaft degrees? Would you post a final open-close diagram of the timing. This may be the cure for my poor running Panther Pup variation. Thanks Colin

Back