1" Bore x 1" Stroke Vertical i.c. Engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wondered about that. I may have to look into modifying my "real" band saw with a countershaft.

Thanks.

Olympic--if you already have a wood cutting bandsaw and want to use it for wood and/or metal, instead of putting in a jackshaft, take a look at a 3 speed standard automotive transmission. That way you can select one speed for cutting wood, and one for cutting metal, and a third gear for anything in between. you wouldn't use the reverse gear for anything.

Excellent work Brian! You are appreciated for your quality of work and speed of build as well as the frequent postings of your progress, trials and tribulations. A joy to read and watch!
Just hope the pain in your hands etc. can be resolved soon.
Thankyou!
K2

Olympic--if you already have a wood cutting bandsaw and want to use it for wood and/or metal, instead of putting in a jackshaft, take a look at a 3 speed standard automotive transmission. That way you can select one speed for cutting wood, and one for cutting metal, and a third gear for anything in between. you wouldn't use the reverse gear for anything.
Great idea, Brian. I have an old Pinto 4-speed out in the shed, and that may just work.

And I can indeed use the reverse, for undoing mistakes.😇

Looks like all those big power lines across the road from you haven't affected your brain at all....

I don't have the best set-up for wintertime painting here. It goes something like this--Get all the parts to be painted ready for paint and held in spare vices, vise grips, or anything else that's handy. Set up my big garbage pail with a board on top outside my office door. Set all the fixtured parts outside on the board, then paint them outside. After 10 minutes, move all the fixtured pieces inside where it's warm to dry. Wait one hour---change all the fixtured pieces around so the unpainted side is exposed, then carry them all back outside to set on the garbage pail. Spray paint again outside, then carry them all back inside to dry. It keeps most of the paint stink outside. I may get a bit high setting in my office until the paint is totally dry, but ya gets your kicks wherever you can----
4nLixN.jpg

I don't have the best set-up for wintertime painting here. It goes something like this--Get all the parts to be painted ready for paint and held in spare vices, vise grips, or anything else that's handy. Set up my big garbage pail with a board on top outside my office door. Set all the fixtured parts outside on the board, then paint them outside. After 10 minutes, move all the fixtured pieces inside where it's warm to dry. Wait one hour---change all the fixtured pieces around so the unpainted side is exposed, then carry them all back outside to set on the garbage pail. Spray paint again outside, then carry them all back inside to dry. It keeps most of the paint stink outside. I may get a bit high setting in my office until the paint is totally dry, but ya gets your kicks wherever you can----
4nLixN.jpg
Oh, well the wacky weed is legal here for a few years now.

Olympic--where the heck are you, and how did you know about all my power-lines?
Google earth!! Your address is on all of your drawings you publish!
I’ve seen your power lines too!!

By the way, next time the truck or the satellite flies by, can you make sure your lawn is cut and those bushes trimmed up???

Sid

This morning yielded a pair of bolt on counterweights for the crankshaft. They fit inside the crankcase as shown, and don't interfere with any thing as they rotate. I am almost ready to begin final assembly. I always go a little bit crazy deciding how to set the cams on my camshaft, but that is the only difficult part of what is left.
cgIJqA.jpg

Google earth!! Your address is on all of your drawings you publish!
I’ve seen your power lines too!!

By the way, next time the truck or the satellite flies by, can you make sure your lawn is cut and those bushes trimmed up???

On the control line stunt forum, my location is given in lat/lon, with enough digits of precision that you can land a smart bomb on the toilet in my garage.

I like checking Google Earth's maps from time to time, to see what the state of my field was when they took it -- there's a control line circle out there that's sometimes mowed, sometimes not.

This morning yielded a pair of bolt on counterweights for the crankshaft...

I was wondering why no counterweights when I saw that shaft -- now I know. I assume you didn't want to start with an even bigger hunk of steel from which to machine the whole thing in one piece.

Vietti--it was "best guess". there is a proper way to set the counterweight, but it is rather involved and requires a weigh scale that I don't have.

Back