1/6 Marine engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TonyM

Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Cvikov/@50.77320
Hi Everyone. I just joined recently. So a bit of background first. I am retired engineer living in the Czech Republic. A few years ago I decided to scratch build a steam launch based loosely on pic 1. It ended up looking like Pic 2, shown during early trials. The engine is a working engine similar to a Stuart but its actually electric powered with a dummy boiler hiding a smoke generator.

That project led me to looking at something a bit different and started investigating something of a similar era but with a working engine. I ended up buying a small lathe, drill grinder and the usual tooling and decided to build a Monterey clipper with a working engine. Pic 3 gives you an idea of what the engine looks like. Mine wont be an accurate scale as everything has to be done on a very tight budget. Materials and equipment are ridiculously priced here so most stuff has to be bought online. There must be 1001 easier engines to make but the masochistic side of me takes some pleasure in doing things the hard way.
I have already got a long way down the road before joining so i will post pics in some sort of order so you can see where the project is heading (albeit slowly now the nice weather is here)

Marlow2712.jpg

trial 15.png

Hicks engine.jpg

First came the base.
I dont have any casting facilities or a mill so for this engine I fabricated the base from brass parts silver soldered together. Just getting firebricks was a task in itself:wall:
The main bearing caps are 16mm finished dia. They were made undersize and held inline with piece of machined tube during assembly. They were then finish reamed to size later.
The pic is at a slightly later stage when setting up the camshaft.

base.jpg

So far I have used a variety if jigs and fixtures to enable the machining of everything on the lathe. I have a Warco 240 variable. I do not have a milling slide for it so I used an angle plate and good quality drilling vice for milling out the piston. The crank was fully machined on the lathe from bar stock. using a couple of split bushes to get the correct throw on the crank. Unfortunately I dont have any pics of the methods I used. I usually get so absorbed in what I am doing I hardly ever take pics. Here are the camshaft pillars and the camshaft. The camshaft is also ASP from justengines with the gear teeth turned off and a bored out cross helix matching the crank gear has been brazed on.

WP_20170604_10_28_37_Pro.jpg

Looks great keep the pictures coming !
Pete

Parts loosely assembled to give an idea of progress to date. There is a lot of work to do to the cylinder and the head but I am hoping a cheap mill will find its way into the workshop during the summer. Unfortunately second hand machines are like hens teeth here and command ridiculous prices so it will probably be a new one and that will take a while to save up for.

WP_20170604_10_57_06_Pro.jpg

Looking very good, that base is a very impressive piece of work. Look forward to seeing more of this build

Amazing work, Tony. :thumbup: It is very impressive that you've done all of this with the lathe and fixtures. Keep it up and thanks for sharing your work!

Latest posts

Back