1/4 scale Wright Whirlwind J-5

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ninefinger

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Well I've done it again. I have bought another set of castings for a 9 cylinder radial engine and I've barely started to build the one I have (1/6 P&W Wasp Jr.)

Anyways, wanted to let people know that these castings are still available - and the seller in Sweden is a pleasure to deal with. I have received my castings after paying on the 9th of November (that is 7 days international service! wow!)

The parts are now safely in my shop and will probably be packed away while I try and make some real progress on the Wasp (focus, focus, focus!!!!)

Here is a picture of what I received (9 head sets + 1 spare head set for setup / making a single cylinder something or other..)

Mike

Castings_Wirght_J-5.JPG

One of these days, one of these days, POW!!! I'm going to make a radial engine. Good luck on your build.

Yes!!!

I will be here watching your progress!!!

th_wwp

Cheers,

Alexandre

Mike, I've had a set of these castings socked away for a few years now, trying to get the gumption to proceed. They are beautiful castings, and I've often thought if a person wanted to, it'd be a simple matter to make a 5 cylinder, a one cylinder, or maybe a V-twin, from these. In other words, castings for complex radials can be used in the creation of unique, simpler IC engines.

I'll be looking forward to your progress.

Could you post the details on where to get this kit? The castings look great.

What castings are in the set? Sure is nice to have and extra set of head castings to setup on... just in case ;)

There are 9 sets plus one spare set.

9 for the actual build plus one for setup.

The casting set includes a head, a left and right rocker box and 2 rocker covers. There is also a gear set available - 10 gears total but I figure I can cut gears when I eventually get around to building this one. Apparently there used to be more castings available. If you click on the photo of the engine in the website I list below it pops up a series of photos - some of them show the previously available castings, though most look as though they can be cnc'd easily enough.

The drawings are a free download from the site as well.

Here's a link to where I purchased these parts: http://www.olsryd.com/ click on the tab for 9 cyl at the top. Its all in Swedish but if you email Alf Olsson at the address listed on the page he is kind enough to reply in english - no need for google translate.

Mike

Obviously that is a Photoshop imaginary engine, as it is not possible for humans to make anything that beautiful as a small model, right?
Wow,!

Mike would you be willing to tell us what the total cost was for this set with shipping and any duties.

thanks tom

Here is the reply I received from Alf Olsson:

What I have for the moment to the Wright engine is cylinderheads and set of gears. Those are the most importent parts for building the engine. All the other parts can be made and purchased.
Cylinderheads cost $180 and I usually send one extra for practice. It means 10 pieces.
The gearset 10 gears, cost $315.
Shippingcost is about $60.

For me I ordered just the heads and the shipping was $20 USD so my total landed cost was $200 USD (no duties or taxes were applied when I received them).

Mike

That is a very reasonable price, will have to keep that in mind. I have found that sometimes shipping here to Ontario can be expensive with duties.

thank you
tom

Hello,

I have also bought a set of these castings, I wonder if anyone on here has the rear blower and gearbox casting spare they would sell please?

Thanks

Colin

Niceonetidy:
Please advance and be recognized friend Post a thread in the welcome area tell us a bit about your self your home shop and your interest in model engine building.
tin

Mike, I've had a set of these castings socked away for a few years now, trying to get the gumption to proceed. They are beautiful castings, and I've often thought if a person wanted to, it'd be a simple matter to make a 5 cylinder, a one cylinder, or maybe a V-twin, from these. In other words, castings for complex radials can be used in the creation of unique, simpler IC engines.

I'll be looking forward to your progress.

Would anyone have a current e mail for the castings mentioned?
The given info seems to be a broken link
His web sit contact address is perhaps " kaput !"

Would anyone that has castings wish to sell then ? If so, I am a serious buyer
[email protected]. Or. [email protected]
Thanks. Joebiplane

I have a set that I would sell, it includes the bearings, cam rings etc. I could post a photo of the parts on here. Also a cast iron bar for the cylinders . . . . . . . . . . .

[QUOTE). Niceonetidy I have a set that I would sell, it includes the bearings, cam rings etc. I could post a photo of the parts on here. Also a cast iron bar for the cylinders . . . . . . . . . . .

I am very interested ! Please send photos and details to
[email protected]
Thanks
Joe

Here are some images of the castings and bearings I have, also the machined cam ring with integral gear and bearings already fitted by Jan. I also have 4 or five sets of American Hit N miss castings that I may sell including a Holt Engine set. Ideal for someone in the UK that would like to build them. There are 10 off Alully head and rocker sets . .

PM me for full details . . .

Cheers,

Colin

IMG_7286.jpg

IMG_7287.jpg

IMG_7288.jpg

IMG_7289.jpg

Niceonetidy:
Please advance and be recognized friend Post a thread in the welcome area tell us a bit about your self your home shop and your interest in model engine building.
tin

I have been a member in this site for over three years now. And have posted articles, and a build diary for my monitor engine,

Latest posts

Back