1/4 scale waterloo steam engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chuck foster

Reaction score
my dad and i just got the cylinder castings for our 1/4 scale waterloo steam engine.
dad made the 2 piece wooden pattern and then we took it to a foundry in hawksville ontario.
the pattern was at the foundry for about 2 weeks and the owner (henry martin) called us and said it was ready.
IMG_0441.jpg

we were going to core it but we thought by the time we learned how to make core boxes and cores we could just machine it from solid.
it will be bored out to 2 1/2" and then have the valve ports milled in to it and the ports drilled into the cylinder.
i think it weights 20 pounds right now, i will weight it after it is machined and see how much had to come off.

just another part to machine in a big pile of parts that will make a steam engine (someday) ;D

chuck

Do you have a picture of what the finished engine will look like? Thanks for posting the first of many photos documenting the building of this interesting engine.

Cheers,
Phil
Lancaster, PA

Very cool. I look forward to the build log. I am getting more and more interested in casting. I am also interested in seeing a picture (or drawing) of the intended.

Eric

Here's an idea, don't know if it'll work. Take a 2" hole saw and cut out the center. Hopefully you'll end up with a piece of 2" dia. piece of cast iron.

Bernd

Latest posts

Back