1/4 scale V8, first project.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You've done a great job on that motor Keith it look fabulous and I'm a little envious. Building a working V8 miniature is something I'd dearly love to do and the obvious thing would be to purchase plans such as those offered by Steve Huck but there is something bothering me, I believe Steve used some CNC machinery and I do not have or intend to to have any type of CNC machines in the future - is the Little Demon do able with out CNC gear.

Keith
What a great job you did. I just ran across your build thread and also watched your video. I am very interested in knowing more about your copy grinder attachment for the lathe that you used to make the Cams. Did you find plans somewhere for this on how to build one or did you just come up with it on your own. Can you explain in a little more detail as to how it works and maybe a few more detailed pictures? I keep trying to picture it in my head on how it actually works but I can't seem to figure it out. Again, you do very excellent work. I look forward to checking out your V10 build thread next. Have a great one.

Cheers
Pat
Hi, let me dig the drawings out, as I can't remember what I did at the moment. It was something I came up with on my own. It worked great though, I remember that.

Retailer, I wouldn't let lack of cnc put you off Steve's plans. Just work round the problems as they occur. Most things can be made without cnc, although it is a lot trickier sometimes. I've never used any cnc.
Look at the complex shapes George Britnell creates using manual machines.

Keith and Steve thanks for the words of encouragement, I'm 2/3rds through a Quorn cutter grinder at present, I've had the castings for almost 30yrs sitting under my bench and am hesitant to start another metalwork project until the Quorn is finished in case it spends another 5 yrs sitting under the bench, but once it's done I think I'll make a V8 my next major project.

Keith
Thanks for responding to my post. I wasn't sure if you would since the thread is so old. Any information you could share on your copy grinder would be appreciated. There is no rush though because I have 2 unrelated projects I need to complete before I can start any engine build. When I get ready to start my build I will start a new build thread to document everything. I know I will not be able to come close to the level of work you do. Your work is just superb.
Thanks and have a great day
Pat

I built the Demon and I'm pretty sure it could have been done without an NC machine. The NC just made things a little less repetitive on some of the things but I don't see anything that could not be done on a conventional mill and lathe.

Hi KEITH
I am Bao Mingming, I am also an engine enthusiast. Can you give me a copy of the V8 and V10 engine drawings? Email: [email protected]. look forward to your reply. Thank you.

Keith5700,

Hello, I'm new to this site and only joined to ask you some questions about your 1/4 scale V8. I was going to build the little deamon, but I saw your build on YouTube and was hooked. My issue is the only plans I can find to purchase are for the little deamon.
Would you consider selling me a copy of your plans or models? It would be built in my garage and displayed proudly lol.
My email is [email protected] if you would like to talk further.

Thank you!

After exploring this site for a while I'm really glad i joined, some amazing models here and lots of knowledge in the community. I think I'll go ahead and build the little deamon first afterall and then, hopfully I'll find a way to contact you Keath5700 and buy your engine plans.
Anyway looking forward to years of fun here!

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the info.
I'll have to get a hold of him and see what he has avalable for the V8. I have seen the compleated V10 on you tube and its awesome.
The little deamon is also a great engine, I'll probably scale it up a bit but I hope to start building it soon.

I have seen 2 builds at 1.5X scale and a completed at 2X. The 2X was huge.
IMG_0275s.jpg

Hey Steve,
I think I can help with that, I've got a video from the 2019 Zanesville show.

Art

Latest posts

Back