1/4 scale V8, first project.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Truly amazing work . You have set a new standard for first builds. a v-8 is not for the faint of heart or self trained novice. You definitely have more than a little shop experience. You are an artist my man.
Tin

Tin Falcon said:
Truly amazing work . You have set a new standard for first builds. a v-8 is not for the faint of heart or self trained novice. You definitely have more than a little shop experience. You are an artist my man.
Tin

Hi, yes I have a bit of shop experience, but I am 95% self taught.
I have been meaning to clarify the title of this thread. It should be called 'first engine project', not 'first project'
as in the first time I've ever made anything at all.

Cheers.

Most peoples first engine is a wobbler or a kit build.
WOW
Tin

About 15 sheets of drawings in total. I must be nuts!

I'd say brilliant! but I guess being a little nuts never hurt.

Thanks for the insight. Still way over my head though.

Some random photos....then I reckon I'm fully up to date.

When I was trial fitting the rods recently I got so frustrated messing about with the split bearing shells that I decided to rivet them to the rods and caps. I used some 1/16" copper tube so it's nice and soft if any touches the journals. A few of the rivets wouldn't seal up fully after peening the ends over, so I filled them with epoxy resin.

The piston pins are hardened silver steel tubes with ptfe buttons pressed in, as per some full sized practice, rather than using locking washers etc.

001-4.jpg

Full set of pistons, liners, rings, pins and rods ready to go.

013-1.jpg

Some of the special tools/jigs made for this project so far.

014-4.jpg

The intake pipes fitted with new plenum and new inlet manifold. Just got to make a set for the other side.

015-4.jpg

I can look at this post with my mouth closed, my jaw is on the floor, some real engines look a like crap if you compare with this one at scale.
I can not wait to hear it running!!

That is an ungodly level of skill to make those inlet pipes like that. I am massively impressed.
All I can say is that I look forward to being able to do things like that when I have a couple of decades more experience under my belt. Please don't tell me you are 25.

Amazing, if it weren't for the mag base, you'd never know.

Keith, have you got any pictures of your non-engine projects?

Totally amazing, that has to be one of the best looking and most convincing models i've seen.

:bow: This is what I aspire to.

Rob.

The mechanicals are looking excellent. How is the EFI coming along?

Greg

Rather than lurk, I'll front up and say this is truly amazing (just saying that doesn't seem to do it justice)

Pete

Longrat, I'll be 23 next birthday, and I've had my lathe and miller for nearly a year now! ;D

(53 really)

KustomKB, I've spent too many years messing around with cars before getting down to some proper machining.

My last 2 projects were, a 16" binocular telescope, and a 1/8th scale helicopter.....

024.jpg

012.jpg

helicopterpics117.jpg

helicopterpics081.jpg

helicopterpics095.jpg

helicopterpics012.jpg

helicopterpics092.jpg

Greg, I got the injector working dry, but it didn't want to work with full fuel pressure. I left it then as I still wasn't sure whether to go EFI or multi carbs. After making the inlet pipes I'm now committed to injection so I'll be back on it soon.

Keith.

After seeing the work on your engine I would expect nothing less with the work on your rotor mechanism and landing gear. Truly outstanding! I don't know much about telescopes but what I do see is magnificent.
gbritnell

If somebody showed me the close up picture of the rotor, I would have said it was CGI.

Perfect.

did you make the blades yourself on the helicopter? is there a video on youtube yet of the helicopter running?

Would not have believed it if I had not seen it, that is simply outstanding work. After seeing that helicopter, do you plan to add a transmission, diff etc to that engine and put it into a car ?

Amazing stuff.

Eddie

Back