1/4 scale V8, first project.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keith5700

Project of the Month Winner!!!
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
Hi all,
I recently started designing a small petrol V8 engine, as I've allways fancied building one. I discovered this site and read what people were doing, especially Stevehuckss, and decided my plans were rubbish. So I've designed a much more intricate engine, compared to my first attempt, and have been machining for about 6 weeks.

Whilst I have taken pics at every step I won't put all the pictures up, as Steve is doing an superb job of chronicling a V8 build. I will be happy to answer any questions in the future however. This is being built with manual machines only. I think CNC machines are great, but I haven't got one.

Going to try and upload some pics now, of progress to date.

046.jpg

048.jpg

049.jpg

054.jpg

058.jpg

Hello,

The look is great !!!

Very cool your project... th_wwp

Thank you for share with us!

Cheers,

Alexandre

looks fantastic so far, those big end caps are a work of Art :bow: :bow:
will be watching :)
Pete

Outstanding work!!! Your crank is a work of art. I see you have it drilled for pressure oiling. Are you using any particular engine as a basis for yours?
gbritnell

Great looking start. Please keep us informed on the build, and as many pics as possible. I want a V8, and you guys are setting the bar realllllly high !

John

Bore is 19mm, just realised I can't actually remember the stroke. Not at work today and everything is on CAD there. It's about 18mm.
George, it's loosly based on Chevy small block, but since starting I've decided I want 4 overhead cams. I'm struggling a bit at the moment though to design the cam/rocker arrangement, so it could well end up with a central cam.
By the way, your gearbox is another step on from my crank. Crank was fairly straightforward, if time consuming, but I think I'd struggle to make those g'box casings. They're incredible!
Cheers.

001.jpg

009.jpg

010.jpg

034.jpg

Amazing start for a first engine!
Keep the pics coming! :bow:

Hi Keith, is this your name ?

I don't have words !!! :bow:

Maybe one or two... beautiful and wonderful!!! th_wav woohoo1

Cheers,

Alexandre

Well it's been a while. Looks like I'm not too hot on posting updates. I've been busy in the shed however. Here's how far I've got.
I've gone away from my CAD drawings and seem to be making it up as I go along, making sketches and calculations on scraps of paper strewn across the bench. But from past experience that's how I work best because the look of the thing is as important as it's function, so I change things all the time to what looks best.

Anyway, some pics, can't believe how big it's going to be.

032.jpg

031.jpg

030.jpg

033.jpg

Excellent job my man :bow: You sure have gotten a lot accomplished in 6 weeks. Your attention to detail is a great benchmark for a true model maker. I echo all the rest, please keep posting. We do learn so much from each other.

I really need a V8 :big:
:bow: :bow:
looking great buddy

My god that engine is beautiful!!! Very nice attention to detail, quality craftsmanship, fantastic all around!! I will be following the rest of your build with interest!

Regards,

Will R. Everett, WA.

Thanks all. I'm making progress still, but believe it or not I've lost my camera so nothing to post at the moment.
I've just built a small pipe bender and am trying to do an exhaust manifold.
Not that I'm ready for that, but I got a bit bored of machining so needed a break.
Also I've just set up a small anodising 'plant' ( 2 x plastic buckets and a battery charger)
Initial experiments have worked better than expected so I'll be incorporating some pretty colours on the engine where I can fit them in.

Will show progress when camera turns up.

th_confused0052 WOW that is an awesome looking engine will be watching this one.

Brock

Latest posts

Back