1/4 scale V8, first project.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is symphony! I love the sound, I am been checking every day only to see this, I have been all the time along with you and your art, this is not a normal work, it is a jewel! My deepest congratulations for this amazing piece.

A hearty congrats to you!
Well done, looks absolutely beautiful and runs the same. A lesson in perseverance you have taught us all!:bow:

wow, I wish I could buy a 1/4 scale V8 engine like this :( how many horse power does it produce?

Well actually you can buy one from Conely Precision, but it's goin to run ya a pretty penny. But for the amount of work it takes to build one its not bad. He has power figures for his engines to give you an idea what the best reliable power you can see. But power is realy secondary for model engines, beauty and sound come first. And self expression.

Cheers,
John.

I too am building a V-8, however, I'm new to this site and haven't figured out how to post pictures yet. Would be very interested in your procedure for making the crank. I'm working on rods and pistons right now, but hear nothing but horror stories from members of my club on making the crank. Keep up the good work. john

Hi there John!

It would be great if you could to tell us a little about yourself in the welcome section and we would LOVE to see your progress on your V8! We just can't get enough of them around here.

And as aways with a build thread th_wwp Thm:

At Keith,
I said it before and I'll say it again, your V8 is simply a work of art and an insperation to us all! I can't wait to see the start of your V10!

Regards,
John.

Last edited:
Hi John:

Welcome aboard.
When you get to making cams and, if you are equipped with a CNC mill, I'd be glad to have to as a tester of our new CNC cam grinding program. See the thread here:

http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/f26/grinding-cams-cnc-program-beta-test-21127/

The program is working really well now but we're having a problem finding people to try it out so we can get some feedback on the operation.

Let me know if you need some help.
I'm looking forward to your build. Keep us posted with a link when you start your build thread so we can follow along.

Thanks

Sage

Hi Dsage: Sorry, but I have a manual Bridgeport. However, I do have a tabletop CNC machine made by DYNA, that I am just starting to try and learn. My CAD and CAM programs are Geomagic, (Formerly Alibre). I plan on using it for the rods, pistons, rocker arms, and anything else that I have to make a bunch of. I'm going to try and upload pictures of mine so far tonite.

I assume you mean a desktop CNC mill?

We have one guy grinding cams on a Sherline (which is pretty small) so that shouldn't be a limitation. Keep it in mind and if you'd like to try it out, join the Yahoo group and let me know if you need any help.

Sage

It's a science show and they mentioned it trending on you tube and talked about his next project the V10

Blimey, that was quick. I only finished their questionnaire midday yesterday.
Hope I didn't come across as some sort of weirdo? Some of the questions they asked were a bit odd. No £££ tho.

Yes V10 next. I'll start a new thread soon for that one. Cheers.

No you didn't come across as a weirdo, lol, it was a nice short bit. Looking forward to the V10.

Be sure to post a link to the build when is goes live.

Congrats on the TV blitz!

Right, just a couple more pics and then I'll wrap this one up.
As some of you will have picked up on, I'm doing a V10 next, which means I probably won't get much more finished on the V8, unless things change.

I've obviously learnt a lot over the past 3 years, and I'll pass everything on during the V10 build.
Thanks for the help, and, more importantly,the encouragements along the way.

Pics show the fuel feed and vacuum pipes and the 24 tooth trigger wheel and crank position sensor. Cheers.

Hi Crazytoon: Sorry, I don't live in the UK. I live in the US near San Francisco.

Back