1/4 Scale Gade Build

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheepo45

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I just started machining my 1/4 scale Gade hit and miss engine From the casting set from Martin Model and Pattern. The castings look really nice-great detail.
Here are some pictures of the flywheel machining.
1 -Drilling and reaming the crankshaft hole to 5/16".
2 -Facing the hub and the edge of the flywheel.
3 -Cutting the keyway with a keyway broach (using my mill-drill for a press)
4 -Mounting the flywheel on a 5/16" tapered mandrel and machining the o.d. and face.

This is my first motor from castings, so I am being really careful. I don't want to have to replace any!
That's it for today. I will keep posting as the build progresses.

DSCN1401 (640x480).jpg

DSCN1403 (640x480).jpg

DSCN1405 (640x480).jpg

DSCN1406 (640x480).jpg

'45, that is a really nice kit you are building. I have one myself about half done, been sitting there for a while waiting for other engines to get done.

A heads up on the crank shaft. The casting is extremely fragile due to the small section. CI is a brittle metal. It's quite likely to break during machining or even when moving the engine after it's done. you might want to consider making one from steel.

maury

This is going to be interesting.... I love the Gade design and will be watching with much interest. Thank for sharing your progress with us.

Harold

Another Gade fan here, Cheepo. Will be following with interest. Thanks for letting us tag along.

Regards,
Rudy

Sounds great, I too was a bit apprehensive when I tackled my first gas engine casting kit. And I'll more than likely fill the same when I jump on the second kit also.
Do you plan on using skids, or the engine cart kit that Martin Model offers? Good luck and keep us posted.

Craig

Here are the completed flywheels. At this rate it should be done in a few years!
I don't know how you guys build several motors a year!
I am planning to use the skids, but we'll see how it looks completed.
Looking forward to Cabin Fever Expo next week. Hope to see some of you there.

DSCN1427.JPG

DSCN1428.JPG

DSCN1429.JPG

CABIN FEVER IS A GREAT SHOW. I ENJOYED IT MUCH IN THE PAST. IT'S JUST AMAZING.

Don't feel alone, I spent about two years on my Economy casting kit.

Had a great time at Cabin Fever Expo. I finally got to do some shop work today. Here are some pics of the cylinder head machining.
Cheepo45

DSCN1473.JPG

DSCN1474.JPG

DSCN1475.JPG

DSCN1476.JPG

Cheepo, that fixture I see in the chuck holding the head in the bottom two pictures looks like it has multiple cuts and surfaces. Did the kit come with drawings for it or did you have to work it out yourself? And what is the function of the cloth underneath the chuck?

Regards,
Rudy

Thanks for your interest. The fixture was loaned to me by another generous HMEM member. We will be working on drawing up some plans-stay tuned...
The rag under the chuck is to keep the abrasive casting dust off the ways of the lathe, (at least that's the plan!).
Cheepo45

I'm making some more progress. I got the valve guides drilled and reamed, and the guides cut to o.d. and height. I also got the spark plug hole drilled and tapped and spot faced. I wish I had more time, but work calls... It really gets in the way of all my hobbies!
cheepo45

DSCN1481.JPG

DSCN1486.JPG

DSCN1489.JPG

DSCN1491.JPG

Hi Cheepo45

I am following your build with interest. I was interested in your second photo. I would have never thought I could use a boring head like that. Thanks, I learned something new. Keep the photos coming.

Vince

Thanks. I got the boring bar idea from another HMEM member. It worked really well.
Cheepo45

The cylinder head is complete! Here are pics of the port drilling, valve seat cutting, and the completed part. I was a little worried about breaking through the casting while drilling the ports, but with a careful setup it came out perfectly. ;D
cheepo45

DSCN1494.JPG

DSCN1495.JPG

DSCN1497.JPG

DSCN1502.JPG

Thanks!
I'm not sure what I will machine next - probably the base and the main caps, then the crankshaft. I will keep posting my progress.

Hi Everyone,
I finally got a chance to get into the shop again. I am starting on the base next. I flycut a piece of aluminum to bolt it to, so I could hold it in the vise and keep everything straight and square. I had to make a couple of drill extensions to clear the cylinder mounting area. Here are a couple of pictures.

DSCN1621.JPG

DSCN1623.JPG

Its nice to see that you have found some shop time and are once again making progress. I look forward to following along and know what you mean about work getting in the way all too often. Its not a race so take your time. The work so far looks really good!!!

Regards,
Bill

Thanks, Model Engine building will definitely teach you patience!

Latest posts

Back