1/4 Galloway battery question

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blockmanjohn

Reaction score
Hi, I'm about to test the ignitor I made for my 1/4 scale Galloway and would like to have a recommendation as to the size and type of battery I should buy. Here is a photo of the transformer I have. I hope it will work. I assume it is to be wired in series with the ignitor. If you can't tell by the photo, the transformer is about 2 inches square. Thanks, John.
IMG_0219.JPG

Is that a transformer or a ballast? Right, it goes in series with the ignitor.

I use a 12V, 1.3 amp hr sealed battery with my 1/4 Galloway. It is 1.3 AH only because that size fit my engine base.

As you know, these are low tension ignition systems, but they will bite if you get in the circuit.

Chuck

Hi, I don't know exactly what it is. I bought it last year at the cabin fever expo. The seller said it would work, but I am just taking his word on it. So is it correct to assume any amp. hour 12 volt battery would work, and size is the only constraint? Would a small car battery work?

If there are only two wires, it is a ballast for a fluorescent light fixture. That is what I use on my ignitor fired engines.

A small 12 volt car or lawn tractor battery would work fine.

Chuck

Chuck, thanks for the advice. This is my first IC engine and I really appreciate the help. One other question. You mentioned that getting in the circuit would result in being bit. How do I stay out of the circuit and what would be common sense wiring practices to run this engine safely? Thanks again, John.

Last edited:
Hi John,

I remember cranking the engine over by hand using the flywheel which is on the ground side of the circuit. Somehow my other hand touched the ignitor terminal connected to the coil. When the ignitor tripped, I got a pretty good surprise. It will make you jump, but it's nothing like being zapped by a high tension ignition system. So, just don't do what I did.

As to the circuit, I'd suggest a switch and a fuse in the wire connected to the insulated ignitor terminal.

Chuck

Thanks again Chuck, I hate to ask, but what size fuse would be appropriate, and any need for a certain gauge of wire? John

John, I have a 15 amp fuse in one of my engines. I suspect you could get by with a 5 amp fuse. Evidently I used the fuse I had and figured it would keep from burning up the circuit if there was a short.

The wire is probably #16 or #18. It is stranded wire I bought at Advance Auto Parts.

Chuck

Latest posts

Back