1/3rd Scale Case Hay Press

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Added a bell, now it's complete.

Attachments

• 20230222_084242.jpg
    20230222_084242.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 4
  • 20230222_084040.jpg
    20230222_084040.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 3
Mike,

Your hay press is very nicely done. I see that hay moving through will ring the bell. Is that the signal to tie the bale with wire?

When I was very young, I remember an Ann Arbor baler that had a similar overhead arm like your Case. I believe they pulled it with a tractor to pick up the hay. It was a hand tie machine.

Again, nice work.

Chuck

Mike,

Your hay press is very nicely done. I see that hay moving through will ring the bell. Is that the signal to tie the bale with wire?

When I was very young, I remember an Ann Arbor baler that had a similar overhead arm like your Case. I believe they pulled it with a tractor to pick up the hay. It was a hand tie machine.

Again, nice work.

Chuck
The bell tells us when it's time to drop in a board. The boards separates the bales & has guides to thread the wire through.

Very impressive project. As someone who has run many versions of square balers on the farm it is interesting to see the ancestor of the machine that has caused me so much grief. I think using this original machine would have been a lot of frustration too but at least you could check the hay going in and not bale up so many rocks and deer antlers.

I used George Britnell's plans to build a 3" scale hay press. George's plans scaled up nicely. If anyone is interested, you can find my hay press being driven by a 3" scale Case at

Love that press! Never forget that smell or the sweat tossing bales!

Mounted a removable electric motor so I can make bales without steaming up the tractor.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ym8EkMtFhXruNG4f9
Also finished the hay wagon today. The lumber is from a Black Ash tree that blew down in a storm last spring.

Attachments

• 20230315_142646.jpg
    20230315_142646.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Regarding the Hay Wagon (Or "Hay Rack" as it is sometimes called).

How to tell if someone is a farm kid: He can back one of those up around a corner with a tractor on the first try.

--ShopShoe

Nice day to bale hay!
Chit - - - - that's just getting started for a good hay day.

You need to have a stack about 10 wagon loads worth and then some lambs - - - - 25#ers would already do well on great grass hay - - - then you're in business - - - - 'cept you need to build yourself a 'honeywagon' to go with your outfit (Grin - - - like it - - - but you sure have to like work to want to make 1/3rd size small squares - - - I don't even want to make full size ones anymore!!!)

Good on you mate!!

Latest posts

Back