1/3 Scale Case Steam engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Getting a few more parts painted & assembled. Day 5

Attachments

• PXL_20201213_225934765.MP.jpg
    PXL_20201213_225934765.MP.jpg
    444.3 KB · Views: 466
  • PXL_20201213_225947983.MP.jpg
    PXL_20201213_225947983.MP.jpg
    413.4 KB · Views: 443
Minnesota State Boiler Inspector stopped out today and certified my boiler to operate at 150psi. View attachment 123383
Amazing job you have done. Approx how many hours and dollars into that machine?
May I ask if it will actually be 'fired' to run on steam or ???
Also, what did the inspector do to test or ???? to certify your boiler/pressure vessel?

Amazing job you have done. Approx how many hours and dollars into that machine?
May I ask if it will actually be 'fired' to run on steam or ???
Also, what did the inspector do to test or ???? to certify your boiler/pressure vessel?
I didn't keep track of the time or cost, because some days I just sat & looked at it. On & off for 4 yrs. Yes, I certainly plan on firing it up this spring. The inspector hydro tested the boiler at 1.5 times the working pressure of 150psi. Then we dropped the pressure back to 150psi, it needed to hold for a minimum of 10 minutes. Then he ultra sound tested many areas inside & outside the firebox, also all around the main tube & front - rear flue sheets. A visual inspection of welds and piping. It took him a coupe of hrs. Now we need to alternate between hydro & ultra sound testing every 2 yrs. in Minnesota. I needed this certificate so I can operate at shows this fall.

Top job! Well done sir!
Remember, for the boiler tests a full fire is required to prove the safety valves function and are adequate, not just the propane burner to raise steam. You know that already having the certificate. But a slave gas burner is an easy way to raise steam and make sure fittings etc. are tight the first time a boiler is fired.
First firing every day check the safety valves lift correctly and pressure and water gauges and injectors and feed pumps all function as they should before you start running. At first, make a list of the checks, - including oiling etc. and keep a log of all running. It's not just good practice, it is a professional approach - which continues the work you have put into building this excellent model.
Enjoy many years of running!

K2

Top job! Well done sir!
Remember, for the boiler tests a full fire is required to prove the safety valves function and are adequate, not just the propane burner to raise steam. You know that already having the certificate. But a slave gas burner is an easy way to raise steam and make sure fittings etc. are tight the first time a boiler is fired.
First firing every day check the safety valves lift correctly and pressure and water gauges and injectors and feed pumps all function as they should before you start running. At first, make a list of the checks, - including oiling etc. and keep a log of all running. It's not just good practice, it is a professional approach - which continues the work you have put into building this excellent model.
Enjoy many years of running!

K2
Thank-you for the advise. On my first fire I need to verify that my mechanical feed pumps work without leaking. Check to make sure my sight glass works correctly. I don't plan on going over a 100psi this first run. Just want to check for leaks & make sure everything functions properly. With the propane test buner I should be able to sneak up on my pressure. I have started a log book, as a private pilot I know the importance of check lists & documentation.

Hey Mike , give ma a call if you got any questions firing today also there's a book called Steam Engine Guide by Prof. P. S. Rose pretty useful and I found a copy of the forest city steam school that might helpful. The crank pumps seem to be prone to air leaks so they won't prime right not the best design but after all the bugs are out it works most of the time

Mike N. I hope I didn't offend with my amateur advice, but I know that experts and amateurs all read these threads. As a pilot you are in the top league of people trained to follow the process. So I'm sure you'll be more disciplined than I am keeping a log.
Enjoy steaming your beautiful engine!
K2

Just watch out when testing the steam blower. Gas blowlamps can be extinguished by the draught of air, so you quickly fill the boiler with gas air mixture... highly explosive if an ignition source appears....
WHOOF!!
K2

Latest posts

Back