1/3 Scale Case Steam engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike N

HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have been working on my 1/3rd Scale Case Steam Engine.
http://youtu.be/SK-7x34rXBg

1915 65HP Case
24: rear wheels
Approx.78" Long

2012-11-04_12-40-02_89.jpg

2012-11-04_10-35-40_418.jpg

2013-05-05_09-18-24_474.jpg

2012-10-28_17-28-08_302.jpg

That's quite a project. How long since the start?
I bought this project about 18 months ago. A man from Idaho started it over 20+ years ago & lost interest in it. The boiler was about 1/2 built & some of the castings were machined. The wheels were rolled & welded together but no spokes or assembly. All but 3 of the gears were machined. I sent the boiler to a shop to have the main tube & the steam dome welded in by a certified welder. I made a crimping tool to in stall the 16 flew tubes. I had to finish the axels & drive line parts. Some of the engine castings were started. It has been a fun project to work on!

I am ready to take it all apart & paint everything.

Thanks

Last edited:
Now that is a labor of love! Imagine all the effort and hours to finish... oh wait... the first guy lost interest! You have got to absolutely love something of that level of project to finish it!

Well done! I'm not into these but this has my attention big time. Can't wait to see the results after painting.

I am working on one of these right now, actually making repairs to it for a friend. We are installing a fusible plug into the crown sheet which requires us to remove the rivets along the bottom side (they were actually badly damaged screws used for this). Any recommendations on what to go back in with new, drawing shows 5/16 steel rivet but we have some concern about temperature and expansion/contraction. My email is [email protected]

Can you describe or show pictures of how you rolled the tubes and the tube roller you made

Can you describe or show pictures of how you rolled the tubes and the tube roller you made

Are you asking about the way I installed the flews? The main boiler tube 9 1/2" was made from a seamless boiler pipe. The flews were made from 1" -14 ga. seamless tubing (McMaster-Carr), taper rolled & then crimped over with a crimping tool bit I made to fit in my air-chisel. This procedure took at least 12 hrs. to complete & my hands felt like pins & needles for a few days. I have pictures of the crimped in flews in the original post.

I need to get back on the project again, it has sat now for a few months. I need to get everything painted & the plumbing work finished up.

I'm referring to what you used to expand and crimp the ends of the flues with. Did you make the flue roller/expandor? Could you post pictures of that and the crimping tool you made.

After taking a long break from this project I am back at it with determination to finish it. I moved 200 miles & built a new house and retired after 45 yrs.
I had to make a new water column and I made the valves from scratch because I couldn't find anything with 1/4"ntp fittings. I still have most of the boiler plumbing to figure out. I found a nice injector to use also. PXL_20201020_211321029.MP.jpgMVIMG_20190916_161058.jpg

Working on getting the hitch mounted so I can install the bunker.

Reduction engineering north Dak. or the book by ralph andres that's not in print anymore

I Think I have that book - have to look and will advise

Up date
yes, like new condition
Go to my website which is
StationarySteam dot Com
And you can email me there
Rich

Last edited:
wonder how many issues that took! some of their plans/articles are spread over several years

Latest posts

Back