1/2 Scale Nanzy

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimsshop1

Steamman70
Reaction score
Hello All,

I was at the Cool Springs Museum Exhibit last month and picked up a Casting Kit of a 1/2 Scale Nanzy model engine. I have never built a model from castings and since the gentleman selling this had one completed and running, it looked like something I could accomplish. However after getting home and looking at the castings which are very nice by the way, and the plans I am wondering if I may be in over my head. Has any one on here ever built this engine and what are the challenges ahead for me? I have built a few steam engines and 3 successful IC engines from bar stock but this will be my first casting kit.

My second question is how to use the search function. When I tried to type in Nanzy in the search box it wouldn't let me type anything in there.

Thank you,

Jim in Pa.

That's strange, when I type in 1/2 scale nanzy the only thread that comes up is this one. What key words did you put in?

Thanks. Yes I knew about that site, but what I meant was there seems to be no build threads on here for the 1/2 scale Nanzy. Maybe someone else will chime in. Or no one on here has built one?

Jim

Strange as I got 19 results. Take the tick out of "this forum"

You may also want to look in the "scale model engineering " section on Smokstak forum as that has a lot of hit and miss activity

Attachments

• nanzy.JPG
    nanzy.JPG
    46.1 KB · Views: 278
What do you mean by "take the tick out of this forum"?
Still no one has stated on "this forum" that they have built this engine.. I am a Smokstak member also.

The one that comes up in the search dropdown.

If you search straight from the homepage you won't get that option just the box to fill in but you will get the results

Attachments

• nanzy2.JPG
    nanzy2.JPG
    19.4 KB · Views: 250
Sorry about that Jim.

When I did the search I was referring to yesterday, I was just searching for "nanzy". I seem to have skipped over the part where you wanted just the 1/2 scale Nanzy - my bad.

I did the search again today, searching for these words:
"nanzy half" - Got one hit
"nanzy 1/2" - Got 23 hits, but no build threads for the 1/2 scale Nanzy.

Don

Thanks Don. I guess it is not a very popular casting kit. It looks like a neat engine to have so I guess I'll just have to wing it. I'm really not ready to build it yet but I wanted to learn more about the setups involved in getting started as I have never done a castings kit. The bottom of the main base has been milled to a somewhat flat surface and the quality of the castings are great. I can't believe no one on this forum has built one but maybe they have but are not active at this time. I will be patient and see what happens. Thanks again.

Jim in Pa

Thanks Don. I guess it is not a very popular casting kit. It looks like a neat engine to have so I guess I'll just have to wing it. I'm really not ready to build it yet but I wanted to learn more about the setups involved in getting started as I have never done a castings kit. The bottom of the main base has been milled to a somewhat flat surface and the quality of the castings are great. I can't believe no one on this forum has built one but maybe they have but are not active at this time. I will be patient and see what happens. Thanks again.

Jim in Pa
I just bought one myself. I also have never built one from a casting. Working on a mechanics kit now. Not sure when I'll start the Nanzy.

Bob Herder in NJ sells the Nanzy kit so he may be of some help. Herder models.
Harvey

Hello Jim in PA.

What part of the build is it that makes you think you in over your head?

I was in your shoes many years ago. The first set of drawings I purchased were for a hodgson 9 cylinder radial. When I purchased them there is no way I could have built it. I had to cut gears on shafts, cut threads in cylinder heads and on cylinders. It was a little above my skill set. What I now realize is that if I had just made some practice parts and focused on learning those skills at that time I would have been able to do it. Now that I'm 7/8 of the way through building 2 of them I think I could have done it years ago.

Just get it in your head that your going to have to allow time along the way to set the project aside and focus on learning a new skill. If it's cutting a thread, practice cutting the exact thread that that project needs. Same with gears. Cut a few on scrap stock before you try the pne on that crankshaft. That's how you build the skills to build engines. Most of us have more metal in or scrap parts bins than we do in the good parts bin.

Latest posts

Back