1-1/2 Steam Roller Long Term

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Dave Great Link, this will keep my busy for the rest of the morning.

I somewhat started this build.
Main Rod.
This is probably a very unconventional way of doing things, but this is the First such rod I have ever built. Now I need to finish the other one.
The Rod its self is Alum the Bolts are Stainless Steel.

IMG_0979.jpg

Started to work on this project once again.
Part F-11 Rear Bearing, planes called for ½ x 1 Brass but I had steel on hand so I used it and pressed some Bronze in for bushings. The next items to make will be F-12 another Bearing for the rear end and also F-13, a Bearing used in conjunction with F-11 both of this together makes the final drive assembly. After these are complete I think I’ll start on the front end, the Gooseneck.

Started out with a hack saw removed as much as I could with it.
IMG_1430.jpg

Then a 3/8 End Mill
IMG_1431.jpg

I used an Edge finder to get center #2 center Drill then a 1/4 drill and Bored to 1/2 the just a slight chamfer to help with pressing the bushing.
IMG_1455.jpg

IMG_1456.jpg

Heres the final part
IMG_1461.jpg

IMG_1462.jpg

Got a ways to go yet.

I found a little inspiration

[ame]http://youtu.be/oPgtwTveU48[/ame]

[ame]http://youtu.be/dq3pVsE6oYM[/ame]

I started the other rear bearing assembly, now I just need to find my bearing material for the insert. I also started on some of the many nuts and bolts ill need for the project.

IMG_1466.jpg

IMG_1468.jpg

IMG_1471.jpg

IMG_1477.jpg

Did I say Long Term :big:
Still working on this, or should I saw would like to complete it!
today started on one of the Cylinders and Steam Chests today, and below are the results.

IMG_1709.jpg

Rough casting

IMG_1710.jpg

Surfaced top and sides with a Fly Cutter

IMG_1712.jpg

Finished product.

IMG_1713.jpg

Then I turned my attention to one of the Steam Chest glands, I thought it would be a good idea to drill and ream the Gland and chest together as one.

IMG_1717.jpg

Im using my tool post to keep my die streight.

IMG_1721.jpg

Now with Threads.

IMG_1724.jpg

This is how I trued the head.

IMG_1726.jpg

Finished Gland

IMG_1728.jpg

Mounted the chest in my 4-jaw and addressed the ends, also threaded for the gland.

IMG_1731.jpg

This is reaming the Chest and Glean together.

IMG_1733.jpg

The Finnished product

IMG_1734.jpg

A little over 3 hours to do both pieces, the Chest and the Cylinder.
Hopefully the next post wont take a year.

I have never considered the alignment of the Steam Chest and gland holes before, thanks for the tip :)

Jan

In the shop early this morning and here are the results, Now I will need to do the same thing all over for the other cylinder.
I order enough metal to finish the engine last week and substituted 304SS where the planes called for CRS, it should be in by next week.
I’ll keep you posted on the progress
Thanks for looking!!!!!

IMG_1744.jpg

Hey Jeff, how is this project going? I am really interested in seeing the rest of the build.

Maybe this thread will give me insperation to finish mine, I've been working on this for the last ten plus years. I have all the engine components done, all I have to do is assemble and mount then make the water tank and coal box. Oh I almost forgot the water pump too.
Dave

Steam Roller2.jpg

November, 2018

I just started to work on the steam roller again after a very long break. I had to take the engine apart it got rusty. I have most of it back together again and turning smoothly. lets see how ;long I stay on it this time.

Dave
IMG_3534.JPG
IMG_3539.JPG

Well, what's 5 1/2 years in the greater scheme of things?

You got pretty far along the first time, and it looks just fine. Let's hope you finish it now!

That's great!
I've been collecting pieces for quite a while, too, but just before Christmas I was offered a completed roller that I couldn't refuse.
Unfortunately, the Christmas roller was dropped in shipping, but the shipper reimbursed me for the repairs, so all has ended pretty well:

Latest posts

Back