1-1/2 Steam Roller Long Term

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff02

Reaction score
Live Steam came out with this build by Bill Harris in 1990, and ever since I first saw it I wanted to build it. I have decided to go for it and start making chips. I am in the process of getting my material and also trying to appropriate the funds for a NEW mill/drill and lathe capable of the task. My Sherline can handle the small parts but the larger ones will need a larger machine.

One change I am going to make is with the Boiler, the plans call for a steel boiler, fired with sterno. I’m going to use Copper, fired with coal, other than that it will be built as in Live Steam.

As mentioned it will be a LONG term project, I still have Elmer’s #41 to finish!

IMG_0583.jpg

GREAT!

I'll be following this one closely, Jeff.

I "started" this project back in June of 2008 but got waylaid by a whole bunch of stuff, both shop and personal, and so have accomplished little beyond collecting some of the materials and building the motor mount. Just today I picked up the book in the shop and got to thinking about putting in a bit of work on it today.

Part of what got me restarted was I lucked into some worm gearing that I think I can use for the steering gear. The gears on this model are a major expense if you buy them. (The miter gear pair to drive the main roller are nearly $100 all by themselves.) I'll probably make the engine speed reduction gears myself.

Bill used two Stuart castings for the cylinders. I'm thinking of using one solid block of cast iron. The outfit (Power Model Supply) that supplied the gooseneck castings is out of business but I think I can carve those from plate on a rotary table. I'm planning on making the side channels of the frame from a single piece of aluminum box section.

Let me know if I can be of help. I've located an online source for the tubing for the two rollers and the box section to make the channels.

My frames will be out of 1018, the gooseneck I will make from brass, and I already have a piece of 4” copper tubing just crying to be made into a boiler. The Wheels I am thinking of Speedy Metals

Looks like this weekend I’m going to order some steel!

I missed the first few posts but will look forward to following this one, good to see another road steam build.

Run an old file over the castings, I've heard of several being chilled lately would be a shame to take the edge off a decent cutter if you catch a hard spot.

Jason

No worries with those castings they are old Stuart stock.

A buddy of mine is building one of these and did the goosenecks from silver soldered fabrication. They turned out perfect.

xo18thfa said:
A buddy of mine is building one of these and did the goosenecks from silver soldered fabrication. They turned out perfect.

I had planned to do mine goose neck the same way. Use 1-64 Brass machine screws to hold it together for soldering then file off the heads.

Almost forgot I ordered my Gears today $132.00 worth! :-\

I also plane on using this for the main frame at $2.80 for 18” it’s worth a try.

Speedy Metals Look under "Channel"

Channel, A-36 Hot Rolled Steel
Dimensions:
A: 1-1/4"
B: .500"
C: 0.125"
Material: Steel
Grade: A-36
Shape: Channel
Finish: Hot Rolled

Jeff L said:
No worries with those castings they are old Stuart stock.

Glade you found out where your casting went, I hope I do them Justus.

Thanks for getting them to me so Quick!

In the shower this morning I was thinking about the expensive bevel gears that are used to provide the final drive to the main roller. It occurred to me that they look a lot like the bevel gears used on the old hand-cranked drills. I happen to have one of those so I checked and they're very close. The big gear is 60 tooth instead of the 64 called out in the plans and it's OD is ~3.5" instead of the indicated 4". The small gear is close to the right size and has 15 teeth instead of the 16 called out in the print. Thus the 4:1 gear ratio is maintained and I think I'll be able to work around the dimensional differences.

Since these parts are very expensive if bought and difficult to make from scratch, you might want to check your old hand drills or even spend a little time at the swapmeets looking for one.

Another option for the frame pieces is to buy a length of this...

Sq. Tube 6063-T52 Aluminum

Dimensions:
A: 1-1/4" SQ
B: 1" ID
C: .125" Wall

and split it with a slitting saw to make two pieces of correctly sized channel.

Update.
Today I received the metal I plan on using for the Side Members; all I have left in the way of parts are the Rollers.

IMG_0657.jpg

IMG_0660.jpg

Thanks for the link Jason, Great pictures and a lot of inspiration.

Almost forgot I ordered my Gears today $132.00 worth!

For my selfish benefit and the benefit of others who might want to build this, would you mind revealing where you pruchased your gears?

Did that price include the bevel ring gears for the final drive to the rear roller?

Jeff;

Very interesting project. I really dig the earth mover stuff. Sure wish I could fine some sort of steam shovel plans.

Matt

Got my gears today for a total of $132.00

IMG_0665.jpg

I just need to find time to start making chips!

Hi Jeff - have you had the chance to make any progress lately? Those gears look nice.

No,

I have been gathering the Steel and other parts that are needed and hope to have a new lath by august then maybe I can get started. I plan on starting with the boiler.
Thanks for your interest.

Latest posts

Back