.098 V twin using 2 Cox .049 Cylinder assemblies.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do make for fun but I like build all parts. I had drawings on building 0.60 making casting in 1972. But life took over.

Now setup a new work shop, my wife has new car and shop was in garage. Now a fully insulated work shop with cooling.

Dave

easy, because you already have 50% of the work when making a radial, and they are easily available and more or less cheap. Most of the people that want to make a radial, dont want to fly it, they just make it for fun and to make it run. And if the total cost is low even if the size is low, no problem.

One could make a radial using 5, 7 or 9 cylinder heads and piston from OS, or similar, but they are not easy to get hold of, and the cost is high....

Here is my drawings for cylinder and piston

EngineB  030.jpg

Engine 030 (1).gif

Dave

easy, because you already have 50% of the work when making a radial, and they are easily available and more or less cheap. Most of the people that want to make a radial, dont want to fly it, they just make it for fun and to make it run. And if the total cost is low even if the size is low, no problem.

One could make a radial using 5, 7 or 9 cylinder heads and piston from OS, or similar, but they are not easy to get hold of, and the cost is high....

Not sour. Just life has been kicking me in the nuts lately and have bigger things to worry about. I still stop by to help if I can. I get an hour or 2 a week on the shop if I even feel like going out so not been posting any build stuff. Wife still kind of likes me so I ain't complaining. Just working through it.

Sorry if I sounded bitter. I'm really not and I have a lot to be thankful for.

Cheers.
Hiya Steve!
I for one appreciate your sharing your work. I’ll never build (never say never, right?) a radial engine, but I found your plans very enlightening! I especially enjoyed how you got around the crankcase pressure issue associated with a multi-cylinder 2-stroke.

As far as getting kicked in the nuts, you’re absolutely right, this past year sucked! It sucked so bad that I’ve taken to wearing a “cup” everyday to protect the family jewels myself!:p However, like most model engine machinists, I’m sure you’re used to adapting, pivoting, and finding a new direction, and hopefully your solution-seeking mind will fix things up for the future.

once again, thanks for the enlightening plans, and here’s to a relatively pain free 2021!

John W

The master rod is a Cox rod silver soldered to a machined part.

DSCN0870.jpg~original

The crankshaft Hi Steve, Did you machine your crankshaft as one piece or did you silver solder the crank pin? Thank you, Mark

DSCN0845.jpg~original

DSCN0882.jpg~original

Drive shaft for the blower

DSCN0886.jpg~original

DSCN0887.jpg~original

DSCN0888.jpg~original

DSCN0878.jpg~original

Back