.098 V twin using 2 Cox .049 Cylinder assemblies.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will commit to one for $50. Good plan. You know, maybe I'll buy and sell at that lever and sell for $75. :).

Sent from my iPad using Model Engines

I have found 2 USA companies selling the tap for arround $50 per unit. Once I have confirmed the price, I will post it so every one can benefit.

I have found 2 USA companies selling the tap for arround $50 per unit. Once I have confirmed the price, I will post it so every one can benefit.

Thank you.

I am starting with a friend a cox 9 radial. We have already bought 10 new piston/head assemblies, and 10 glow plug head adapters.

I had a long time search for the correct cox tap with the 17/32-40 thread, and was astonished with the quotations I received from several companies, up to $200.

Speaking with the seller of the cox parts, we agreed that he will make an order of several taps to a company so we could have a final reasonable unit price.

The final unit price is below $55 which makes a good price compared to other options.

http://www.exmodelengines.com/cox-.049-cylinder-glow-head-tap.html

Hope all the people that where searching for the correct tap, can now order it and start a new cox project.

I will post more information of our project.

Thank you, thank you, thank you. Just placed an order for my tap. I tried asking the same from another Cox distributor, and they were not interested. Excellent work.

I am glad I can help others with just some work. Looks interesting that some companies are a little bit business short minded

What cox proyect do you have in mind?

I have plans for a Hex two and four, but am also interested in trying some of my own. I was interested in small two cycle "pods" independently carbureted, etc. that you could bolt together with mating output shafts. Then you could make any inline combination you wished. Just thought that would be something interesting to try.

Thanks Tin for the info. Patience would have saved me a few bucks I guess, but I'm really appreciative of both of you for the help.

Tin,
That is a 7/32-40. They need a 17/32-40.
Gail in NM

OOPs though that too easy sorry for the confusion
Tin

Well at least I didn't spend $20 too much now.

A Cox radial - As in a mount for multiple cox engines that drive a common center shaft through spur gears?

i know this is an old thread but does any one have plans for a cox radial engine?
thanks,
matt
PM me. I have some radial plans. Common crankshaft with a centrifical blower built in.

DSCN0890.jpg~original

DSCN0878.jpg~original

The master rod is a Cox rod silver soldered to a machined part.

DSCN0870.jpg~original

The crankshaft

DSCN0845.jpg~original

DSCN0882.jpg~original

Drive shaft for the blower

DSCN0886.jpg~original

DSCN0887.jpg~original

DSCN0888.jpg~original

DSCN0878.jpg~original
Would love to know more on how you did the master rod modifications , like did you remove the rod from the piston, how you held it to machine and silver solder etc please,thanks
Mark

Another way to get power for glow-plugs is to rewind the secondary of an open frame transformer that has enough VA( watts) capacity for the total glow plug load. I needed to power 4 glow-plugs for a 4 cylinder engine that needed 4 amps per plug(OS Type F). This would require 24 watts. Looking through my electronics junk drawer, I had a 50 VA transformer similar to this https://www.jameco.com/z/67-1123-36...AC-Power-Transformer-br-6V-0V-6V_2265679.html The secondary winding was on the outside ( usually the case) so it was easy to remove it leaving the primary intact. I wound a new secondary with #14 AWG insulated wire ( from a piece of Romex) filling up the entire space occupied by the old winding. Testing the new winding allowed me to adjust the number of turns so that I ended up with 1.5V at 16A that I needed. The open circuit voltage was about 2.0V IIRC. I put it in a PVC box with a toggle switch, line cord, and plug for the primary. The secondary was brought out with a piece of #14 zip cord and banana plugs to connect to my engine's mount. Much easier than batteries, but does tie you to a 120V AC circuit. Not a problem for most of us, I would guess.

WOB

Back