0,2 cc diesel engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VALERY56

Reaction score
Hello, I am from Ukraine, I am 64. I would like to present to your attention my first engine. It has a volume of 0.2 cc and a cylinder diameter of 6 mm, stroke 7 mm, weight 23 grams. For its manufacture, only small homemade lathe was used. The structure was drawn in SolidWorks. The engine has a hardened steel sleeve and cast-iron piston, the crankshaft is also hardened and ground. The piston and cylinder are ground in and the cylinder has a cone of the working surface of about 3 microns. The engine starts easily on standart fuel and develops up to 14000 rpm with Cox 4x2.5 prop. A total of 4 such engines were manufactered. I have developed many different engines rating from 0.1 to 0.8 cc, the next type is in the process of preparation. Their peculiarity is the machined crankcase due to the lack of casting possibilities. Here are a few photos of the engine, accessories and, as well a shot video of the first test run.
002.jpg
004.jpg
006.JPG
Разобран.JPG
Оправки.JPG

Valeriy, very nice work on these small parts for 0.2 ccm model engine. Not so easy for beginners where it takes a lot of patience to adjust the parts of the cylinder and piston together for it to be tight and work well on a small scale.

Здравствуйте Валерий, очень красиво поработали эти мелкие детали для модельного двигателя 0,2 куб. Не так-то просто для новичков, где требуется много терпения, чтобы отрегулировать детали цилиндра и поршня вместе, чтобы они были тугими и хорошо работали в небольших масштабах.
Привет из Норвегии. :)

Thank you, I'm an old mоtor-mechanic, from 1975, I've redesigned,
refurbished and refined many different model engines,
but this one was built from start to finish. All manufacturing
operations were thought out and performed as expected.

Last edited:
Very nice! This looks a lot like the AE series?

Thanks, yes, when designing the engine, I proceeded from the concept of AE0.1 and 0.2 cc engines, but only in the external design and technological features

Last edited:
Splendid Valery! - Much better than my attempts. The first similar sized engine I made didn't run - It started, coughed, spluttered, fired - but didn't run more than a couple of seconds - After more than an hour of attempts, the compression dropped as the piston "wore out". I made a glow head for the lower compression - similar results. Now needs a new piston and cylinder as they are worn to badly by the electric motor used to try and start/run the engine. Probably my carburetor is useless! I'll have to re-make that with a much finer needle - or buy a needle assembly from a shop? Unless I can get some drawings of a carburetor? - But that is a few projects away from getting any attention.
You have done a splendid job.
K2

Hello, I am from Ukraine, I am 64. I would like to present to your attention my first engine. It has a volume of 0.2 cc and a cylinder diameter of 6 mm, stroke 7 mm, weight 23 grams. For its manufacture, only small homemade lathe was used. The structure was drawn in SolidWorks. The engine has a hardened steel sleeve and cast-iron piston, the crankshaft is also hardened and ground. The piston and cylinder are ground in and the cylinder has a cone of the working surface of about 3 microns. The engine starts easily on standart fuel and develops up to 14000 rpm with Cox 4x2.5 prop. A total of 4 such engines were manufactered. I have developed many different engines rating from 0.1 to 0.8 cc, the next type is in the process of preparation. Their peculiarity is the machined crankcase due to the lack of casting possibilities. Here are a few photos of the engine, accessories and, as well a shot video of the first test run. View attachment 121121

the fixtures (holding the parts to machine them) are particularly interesting. i see 2 faceplates with the crankcase attached. looks like the crankshaft in another.

please show us, how each is used.

Initially, may I compliment the builder for the delightful engine. Man years ago my 0.46 disappeared into the Irish Sea in Cumbria! It was too cold to go in and swim to get it!

But may I mention workholding and that things called Keats plates are available ( certainly in the UK)
They can be bought complete or bought as castings or perhaps made from welded bits if right angled mild steel. For what they are they can be quite expensive but made out scrap mild steel they are cheap and just as handy. Google is just one site with details which can be copied

Though that I'd mention it in passing.

Regards

Norman

Valery, as a fellow diesel engine maker, congratulations on some fine machining and a really super result. To see them run, once all is complete, is a never ending reward so I can imagine your satisfaction😊

Though my efforts are much larger - I prefer 5cc - I can well apreciate the skill and the limits of machining involved in such small sizes. A great result indeed.👍👍

Regards - Ramon (Tug)

Thank you all for your kind words and appreciation of my work. Drawings of all engine parts are available, as well as mandrels and accessories, which are in the photo, but I can offer you only not earlier than Monday. The problem is still - I can not insert PDF files into the text, but only a photo.

Hi again,

I had this problem on here several years back. It was suggested the PDF was saved as a Jpeg and inserted as a picture. I recall it worked at the time.

Regards - Tug

Initially, may I compliment the builder for the delightful engine. Man years ago my 0.46 disappeared into the Irish Sea in Cumbria! It was too cold to go in and swim to get it!

But may I mention workholding and that things called Keats plates are available ( certainly in the UK)
They can be bought complete or bought as castings or perhaps made from welded bits if right angled mild steel. For what they are they can be quite expensive but made out scrap mild steel they are cheap and just as handy. Google is just one site with details which can be copied

Regards

Norman
Just followed your suggestion and spotted a nice looking Keats plate from Heamingway tools for £36.... Maybe Santa will be kind?
Thanks Norman,
K2

Regards

Norman

kind of you to name the device, Norman.

google images shows both machined (from castings and billet) and fabricated. the simple item fabricated from angle would be an excellent start. i'll leave the hemmingway quick set, until i've proven the need.

my fly away, was a dc merlin on chobham common. disappeared upwards out of sight, long after the engine stopped.

the sight and sound of Valery's engine is a delight.
David

Thanks both re the Keats Plates. As has been pointed out the varieties and methods of building are many but so are the sizes.
Much of my smaller tooling was lost when my workshop roof blew off TWICE in winter storms.

I live in a 'Wind tunnel':(
So I went a bit mad the other day and bought 30 kilos of mild steel off cuts for about £40+. I forgot what a kilo was LOL. And at the same time bought an assortment of metric round free cutting(EN1A) so I'm stocked up with all sorts of possibilities. Again, for a modest £30, I bought a little Mig welder and restored it. To do the donkey work in sawing, I have had one of the very rough and ready 6 x4 metal bandsaws. My Christmas Box to myself is a Potts style vertical slide cum dividing head and it will(?) be amongst the 3.5 MILLION parcels per day which one firm transports.
So the next thing for an old geyser is an eye jab and a virus jab-- and off I go again into my 91st year.

However, I DO look forward to see the exploits of others.

Cheers

Norman

The engine has a hardened steel sleeve and cast-iron piston, the crankshaft is also hardened and ground. The piston and cylinder are ground in and the cylinder has a cone of the working surface of about 3 microns.

Very nice. Can you elaborate on the specific hardening methods you did on various components? For example on the liner do you mean hard chromed & ground? Maybe crankshaft was heat treated steel? etc. Some of the tools at the bottom of your picture look like for lapping?

Thank you, the cylinder liner and crankshaft are made of steel with 0.4% carbon and 0.8-1.0% chromium, both parts are hardened, the crankshaft is tempered at 250 degrees C. There are no coatings. After heat treatment - grinding with a caliper grinding head (homemade) and lapping the liner inside. In the photo below, there are laps for the liner and piston with a liner holder, as well as a mandrel with a leash for grinding the liner outside in the centers.

Latest posts

Back