What have you been doing today?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Talking of Ellend, Heckmondwike, Brighouse and Liversedge will mean "nowt to them what's from arbruard". (But I know exactly "where thowt 'angs abhart").
Keep on lads! (a laughing "Red Roser" that doesn't spake Yorkish).
;)
K2
1713950708825.png

1713950856664.png

1713950961654.png

Hi Jonathan
It was on Dewsbury road, The transport dept was opposite the roundabout, It is now a car wash and a 4x4 sales garage I think.
The main works are on the right hand side as you go down Dewsbury road, The big red brick building, the stone bit were the offices. the yard was at the end on the bottom on the right hand side, Happy memories, that's where my dad taught me to stick weld when I was a kid on a saturday morning, I was fascinated watching the magic eye profiling machine.
Paul

The last photo is the view from the steps of the Black Bull public house in Brighouse. There's a bit of a grassed roundabout thing there now, which is what throws it off. The sign marked A641 is odd though, as it points at Kwik Fit tyre shop while the A641 road is at the other end of town. Wilcos was on the left of this view though that's being demolished now.
The top photo is where I took my driving test and the middle one shows Elland bridge that got washed away during a recent flood. Now all put back with all the stones back in the same order. A massive job involving a lot of concrete. The footings were washed away as the bit that is hidden to the left of the photo spans the canal and scouring wasn't considered a design issue I imagine.

I never knew that the Colletts building was famous, just that they move big things with trucks. It's just down the hill from me so you learn something new every day. Thanks Paul and Steamchick.

Thanks Gents, "Nostalgia ain't what it used t' be when I were a lad."
And you remind me of a sketch... "bread van? we had nobbut ashes t'suck when we wus ungri. - Them's worrt days..."
(Please excuse colloquialisms - I'm a Soft Southerner).
K2

Grand daughter (a young 11) was visiting yesterday. She loves being in my shop and making things and helping. She has her own cabinet and drawer for her projects and is learning safe use of tools, although she can be a bit overconfident. After she reorganized my plier drawer ;) , I had something to do out in the woods and she came along. In the woods I had a very minor mishap with a broken branch and a little tumble. She casually told me, "I am going up to the house for a minute. I'll be right back."
Later that day my wife related the nonchalant exchange when the grand daughter had came up to the house: "Grammy, I need to get some band aides for grandpa. He's in the woods down at the creek. But my mom is a nurse so I know what to do.":eek:

Grand daughter (a young 11) was visiting yesterday. She loves being in my shop and making things and helping. She has her own cabinet and drawer for her projects and is learning safe use of tools, although she can be a bit overconfident. After she reorganized my plier drawer ;) , I had something to do out in the woods and she came along. In the woods I had a very minor mishap with a broken branch and a little tumble. She casually told me, "I am going up to the house for a minute. I'll be right back."
Later that day my wife related the nonchalant exchange when the grand daughter had came up to the house: "Grammy, I need to get some band aides for grandpa. He's in the woods down at the creek. But my mom is a nurse so I know what to do.":eek:
Keeping their interest - - whilst keeping them at least sorta safe - - - a delicate balance!!

Re: granddaughter and 'nursing' laughing uproariously!!!
good on you both - - - - ain't you a lucky guy!!!!!!!!!!!

Keeping their interest - - whilst keeping them at least sorta safe - - - a delicate balance!!

Re: granddaughter and 'nursing' laughing uproariously!!!
good on you both - - - - ain't you a lucky guy!!!!!!!!!!!
Joe, yes, I realize how incredibly lucky I am. But I also know that being a dad and grandpa is a job where I need to muster up all the patience I can, LOL. And that CAN be a job. (and safety is always number 1.)

Here is grand daughter at the drill press, and the other pic is of her mom (the nurse), 30 years ago, on the left, wearing the nail apron, and her mom's sister (my other daughter), making some kind of teeter-totter. My daughter's are both proud of the fact that they "know how to do stuff." I am too.

IMG_20230502_133418390.jpg

MossySpringDeckStuff.jpg

And here is me and my brother 30 years before that. (I was almost 7, and lucky, too.)
BenBuilding.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back