Home Model Engine Machinist > Building Them > Plans > Inline 6 aircraft engine or inline 4 model aircraft engine plans required

Old 07-21-2010, 05:33 PM   #1
Alex3886

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Inline 6 aircraft engine or inline 4 model aircraft engine plans required

Hi, my name is Alex, and I am new to this great site.
I am looking to find some free plans for an inline 6 aircraft engine (Mercedes D.III inline 6 engine), or a scaled down version of an engine that type, like an inline 4, 4 stroke model aircraft engine like for example the O.S. IL-300 Dia-Star, Cirrus 4-Cylinder Inline Aero Engine,
I have already modeled a Clerget 9 B 130hp rotary aircraft engine, and now I am trying to finish modeling the full Sopwith Camel F.1 in Solidworks. After I have finished this project I want to model an Albatros D.III fighter, but for that plane I need some plans for the engine, so please could you guys help me. I am really unable to find plans for this type of engine.

Some reference photos:

Cirrus 4-Cylinder Inline Aero Engine, 1/6-scale model built by Merritt Zimmerman

IL-300 Dia-Star

Mercedes D.III aircraft engine

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2010, 02:07 AM   #2
zeeprogrammer

Liked 170 Times on 170 Posts

Default Re: Inline 6 aircraft engine or inline 4 model aircraft engine plans required

Welcome to the forum Alex.

I can't help you with your questions...but I sure am interested in the projects. When you find the plans I hope you start a build thread here and show us.

Carl (aka Zee. will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.)

To work. To work.

Old 07-22-2010, 11:42 AM   #3
Alex3886

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Re: Inline 6 aircraft engine or inline 4 model aircraft engine plans required

Thank you!
I will be happy to show my projects here

Old 07-22-2010, 12:03 PM   #4
Alex3886

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Here are some photos of my current work so far.
I hope you like them.

Old 07-22-2010, 12:05 PM   #5
Kermit

Have you seen this site?

http://www.arizonamodels.com/index.php/cPath/27

http://www.arizonamodels.com/index.p...acturers_id/16

Kermit

Old 07-22-2010, 12:22 PM   #6
Alex3886

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yes, I have seen it.
From there I got some interesting drawings for the Albatros and Sopwith Camel.
Check this out: http://www.finemodelworks.com/arizona-models/reference/

Old 07-22-2010, 02:27 PM   #7
Lakc

Liked 54 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 17

As I recall there were two different scale versions of the Cirrus, at least one I know made it as plans into the pages of Strictly IC magazine.

While inline 6 cylinders are probably out there, it becomes rather difficult to reproduce in model scale form. Both the physical length of the crankshaft and the length of the line boring involved probably contribute to their rarity.

Jeff

Old 07-22-2010, 03:03 PM   #8
Alex3886

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

You are right,
There are two scale versions of the Cirrus 4-Cylinder Inline Aero Engine, one is 1/4 scale and the other is 1/6 scale.
You can see them here on this site, along with some other great little engines:
http://www.craftsmanshipmuseum.com/KnappCol.htm

Old 07-22-2010, 08:40 PM   #9
GWRdriver

Liked 106 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 27

I have some information for you, but first, do you really think it's reasonable to expect that somewhere out there are sets of "free" plans for a highly complex model engine which someone with great intelligence, experience, skill, and perseverance would have taken years of their life to design, build, test, prove, and then draw up so that someone else could build it? Is that a reasonable expectation?

My long time mentor, J. Wilson, of Nashville TN (now deceased) designed from scratch and built a 1/10th scale model of the Mercedes D.lll in-line six engine to exact scale. His procedure was to scale the drawings based upon known dimensions from a single side and end view drawing of the engine. He would then rough-sketch the part, make the part in metal, then pencil sketch the part to scale and dimension for eventual redrawing. The process would be repeated for any part that didn't work out just right or which was less than perfect. This project spanned almost 30 years and was nearing final completion and testing when he died at age 89. His last remaining challenge was to complete the magnetos (also to scale) and he was sure that rare earth magnets would do the job. As Lakc has mentioned above the machining challenges of such a model such are enormous. One of the least of these, for example, was the camshaft oil passage which required drilling a concentric hole 1/16" in diam and around 7" deep. The engine components and all drawings still exist but unfortunately upon his death his widow locked everything up and will not allow further access to his workshop or files. This is too bad because the work should be seen, but nobody is likely to build another one anyway. There are photos and video of the project held by friends and if I can get access to any of the photos I'll post them. It was an amazing project.

Cheers,
Harry

Old 07-22-2010, 10:49 PM   #10
Alex3886

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

That is proof of the man's great dedication to do a task to the end.
Thank you for sharing that great bit of history with us.
It would have been great to have seen his work indeed, but some thing just don't go as you expect them to go.
That is the way of life, I guess.
In my opinion life would be much better with more dedicated people like J. Wilson, but every one has a different personality and way of life.

“"Scientists investigate that which already is;
Engineers create that which has never been.''”
(Albert Einstein 1879-1955)

Quick Reply