Home Model Engine Machinist > Building Them > Boilers > Flash Steam or Monotube boilers

Old 06-19-2010, 10:36 AM   #1
doubletop

Liked 54 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Flash Steam or Monotube boilers

There's been a number of references to this subject on my "Scotch Boiler" topic. It needs a topic of its own.

As a start here's Bob Kirtlys 100mph plus steam driven hydroplane. Apparently he has/(had) the record at 120mph!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srq_pC4v5wo

“To achieve anything in this game, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.” - Stirling Moss

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2010, 12:10 PM   #2
Blogwitch

Liked 149 Times on 143 Posts

Default Re: Flash Steam or Monotube boilers

Isn't it wonderful what you can get up to with a bit of heat and water, plus of course, a little bit of engineering as well.

John

Old 06-19-2010, 01:08 PM   #3
bearcar1
HMEM_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 42 Times on 42 Posts

Now where's the fun in all that? 100MPH in a circle, and tethered no less. A monkey could drive that thing. Now then, unhook that bad boy and lets see what that old geezer can do with it.

BC1
JIM

Old 06-19-2010, 01:43 PM   #4
fcheslop

Liked 22 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 2

You re not wrong John (Bogs) 120 MPH for an A class hydroplane its absolutely brilliant just shows what can still be done by individuals experimenting.Mr Kirtly wrote an article for the model engineer in the late 80s or early 90s I think it was about the time that I dabbled in flash steam but I couldn't compete at this level and some times you have to know when to quit.There used to be a good small book on flash steam but the dementia's kicking in at the moment.

Old 06-19-2010, 03:56 PM   #5
Blogwitch

BC,

Quote:
Now where's the fun in all that? 100MPH in a circle, and tethered no less. A monkey could drive that thing. Now then, unhook that bad boy and lets see what that old geezer can do with it.
Any deranged idiot can get a blown V8 from an auto supermarket and make something go fast, in a straight line. That is why in the UK we don't buy large American cars, we need our cars to be able to steer around corners and sharp bends.

This chappie has most probably spent most of his modelling life developing that small engine and flash boiler, a tiny tweek here, a little twang there, with an eventual culmination where he took the world steam powered record.

In the model engineering world, this is equivalent to all your land and water speed records and all your dragster records as well. The only difference is, he has most probably only spent a few hundred bucks to get to that high position rather than bottomless pockets that everything I mentioned above would require.

This is model engine designing and making beyond your wildest dreams.

So please don't belittle it just because it has to be tethered to control all the power that is being produced.

Fcheslop,

I am not completely ignorant of model boat issues, for the last fifty years, I was an avid model boat and steam engine designer and maker, but nothing that I have done could compare to what he has achieved. That is true dedication.

Bogs

Old 06-19-2010, 04:13 PM   #6
HS93

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

as bogs said a work of art, all built and re built so many times to get the max out of it, much better than a wood plynth and glass jar over it.

peter

Attached Thumbnails
flashone.jpg   flashtwo.jpg   flash3.jpg  

how big a hammer do I need ?

Old 06-19-2010, 04:18 PM   #7
SAM in LA

Liked 34 Times on 34 Posts

What a hobby.

That boat just screams as it goes around.

SAM

SAM in Lower Alabama, USA

Old 06-19-2010, 04:32 PM   #8
bearcar1
HMEM_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 42 Times on 42 Posts

If my Grandmother had wheels she'd have been a wagon too. I was making a joke about the craft having to be tethered. I do appreciate all of the I'm sure hard work and hours that went into the power plant and hull designs. I just found it amusing in my American way of sick humor to see such an apparent work of art going balls out to nowhere is all. I apologize to anyone that decided to take offense at my remarks. I have owned two MGBs, one while I was a teenager and one that I drive now, and both of them for just the very things that have been mentioned, that and NOT having deep pockets.

BC1
Jim

Old 06-19-2010, 05:10 PM   #9
zeeprogrammer

Liked 170 Times on 170 Posts

Thanks for the pics peter. I was wondering what they looked like up close.
Awesome!

(I knew what you meant Jim.)

Carl (aka Zee. will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.)

To work. To work.

Old 06-19-2010, 05:24 PM   #10
Blogwitch

Sorry for flying off a bit there Jim, but I am a great believer in dedication and personal achievement against the odds.

Even a lowly hand hacked wobbler deserves praise, purely because it starts as one person's dreams, and is then taken to the end, no matter what the setbacks.

People very rarely get to see the trials, tribulations and heartache that a project like that takes. Just imagine spending say six months development time and making, only to find it didn't work like it should have, so start again down a different route. That is called dedication to your hobby.

John

Quick Reply