Well I finally got the drag saw to the point where it will saw logs. All of the hardware is rough finished but functional. Eventually I will disassemble everything and finish & paint it. My brother is cutting and planing some Red Oak for the frame. The final version should be somewhat shorter than this unit as I want to eliminate the large wooden box that contains the old Ford buzz coil. I'll be using a small CDI unit that can be hidden under the engine.
The size and speed is built around the large bicycle sprocket. It is the largest one I could find. 52 teeth. The drive sprocket is a 9 tooth that I made. It combination seems to give me a pretty fair speed and enough power so the engine will still hit & miss.
I went round & round on the clutch mechanism. Had many good suggestions from HMEM members. What I ended up with is kind of a combination of several ideas. It is more of a cog than a clutch. I felt I needed something positive that wouldn't slip under load. It engaged very well with the engine running but is a problem to disengage with any little load on it. I can live with that by stopping the engine after every cut.
The saw has about a 6" stroke which will allow me to cut a 5" log and still clear the teeth. Most of the information on the lever arm and eccentric was scaled off photos I got off the Internet. I also had some good help from "steamdave".
The blade is not what I want to end up with. It is very rusted & pitted. The tooth profile isn't quite what I want either. I have been watching Ebay and putting the word out in our tractor club for what I am looking for. I'll eventually get something better.
The full size unit sometimes have enough weight so they don't need anything to secure the log. This small unit required a log locking device. I made a small locking ratchet and mounted it to a frame that would secure the log in place.
Now a short video of it working. This is only the second cut, so anything can happen.
I was real happy with the performance of the Red Wing engine.
Thanks for watching