Home Model Engine Machinist > The Tools and Tips > Tools > homemade machines?

Old 02-15-2010, 11:09 PM   #11
kcmillin
Project of the Month Winner!!!
HMEM_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 79 Times on 76 Posts

Default Re: homemade machines?

I find nothing more satisfying than using a tool wich you made. I often look for projects to do, and there are plenty of tools on that list. Ive made countless saw blades for use on alumoinum, wood, and brass. Homemade flycutters, and other tool bit holders for the lath and mill.

Here are a couple I use all the time.

This is based on a hand vice I seen in a catalog. I used walnut for the handle. I also made four of them and gave them away as presents. Cant find these at the hardware store.

Here is a 3 inch milling vice I made out of a big chunk of steel. It is verry handy when a small vice is needed.

kel

www.burleighmachine.com

Old 02-16-2010, 12:58 AM   #12
New_Guy

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

......i suppose im the only crazy one on here who wants to build working machine tools :P

ill keep my mouth shut so you guys dont see the seriousness of my condition

wyleecoyote Likes This 
Old 02-16-2010, 01:08 AM   #13
Tin Falcon
Administrator
HMEM_ADMIN.png

Liked 754 Times on 603 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Lorenz:
Yes miniature tool building certainly is a branch or sub division of model engineering or engineering in miniature. There are several vendors that offer kits of mini machine tools as others have mentioned. I do not recall many plan sets available I think most folks copy a machine they have. As our banner states this site is dedicated to model engines from bar stock. This does not mean you can not post builds of model machines . We would love to see such posts and they will be encouraged. You may not get a lot of help simply because this is not the forums area of expertise.
Tin .

Old 02-16-2010, 01:52 AM   #14
DavesWimshurst
DavesWimshurst

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Lorenz,
Metal and wood cutting band saw 17.5 inch wheels, speeds from 115 to 3350 feet per minute using belt changes and gear speed reducer:

belt sander:

This machine uses 1" x 42" belts.

PM Research lathe and drill press

Dave

Old 02-16-2010, 03:21 AM   #15
kuhncw

Liked 34 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Dave, nice job on the home built machines. What did you use for the 17.5 inch wheels on your bandsaw?

I've not yet built any complete machines, but I am working toward converting a Taig lathe to CNC.

Thanks for the post. Home built machines are always interesting to me.

Regeards,

Chuck

Old 02-16-2010, 04:08 AM   #16
E Chris

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Hi Lorenz,

There seems to be some of us out there that do enjoy making small machine tools.
Some are more interested in form, others, function. The English author, L.C. Mason wrote a fine book called "Building a Small Lathe". Anyone considering to build a small lathe would find this book very useful. A person that combined form and function to a very high degree is Bill Huxhold. Mr. Huxhold's model of a Hardinge lathe is in all probability just as fine as the prototype.

I have recently made a small swing-type tool and cutter grinder. It has the capability of having either a horizontal (shown) or vertical spindle. As you can see I am definitely in the function, not form, camp.

Chris

Old 02-16-2010, 04:17 AM   #17
New_Guy

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

wow Chris thats just amazing!!

Old 02-16-2010, 05:39 AM   #18
bentprop

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts

As far as powered machines go,I made a 6" disk sander using the motor out of a factory extractor fan.Uses a mdf disk as backing.It's a bit of a pain having to scrape of the glue when changing a disk,but I don't do it very often now.
I also made a small circular saw,using a motor out of an old drill press.The blade was a 2" Minicraft blade,that had been in a drawer for at least 10 years!
When I think of it,I'll take a few pics.
Chris,that's a nice piece of workmanship,care to tell a bit more about it?I don't really see how it works.

Old 02-16-2010, 06:12 AM   #19
1hand

Liked 48 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I'm with Bentprop, I also interrested in how that works Chris.

Matt

Old 02-16-2010, 03:41 PM   #20
E Chris

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Hello everyone,

Thanks for the kind remarks. I believe they call this type a swing grinder and indeed it does. The column and of course the head/motor are free to swing from side to side and to rise and fall. There is a ball bearing at the bottom of the column that acts as a thrust bearing and at the top there is an fine (40 tpi) elevating screw that has about a half inch travel. The 40 tpi and large graduated hand wheel gives sub-thousandth height control. The coarse screw towards the back is for rough height adjustment and is locked by the know on the side of the arm. As I mentioned in an earlier post the horizontal spindle assembly can be replaced with a vertical spindle for using cup wheels. The vertical spindle will do double duty when I finish the Quorn grinder. My son calls this a tin can grinder because of my use of a can to make the dust shield for the column. The base plate and indeed the column base are surplus mainframe computer tape parts. And I didn't think computers were of any use!

I will try and attach a photo of a drawing and hope it will help.

I will be glad to answer any other questions.

Chris