Home Model Engine Machinist > Showing Them > A Work In Progress > Building an engine from scrap parts and no plans

Old 01-07-2010, 03:29 AM   #1
black85vette
HMEM_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 59 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Building an engine from scrap parts and no plans

See what you think about this. You guys know how I love to re-use stuff and make things with materials I have on hand. Well here is some stuff my friend gave me. Parts his company used to make but no longer produce. The box is cast and plated. The wheels were from some sort of surgical equipment and are aluminum. I have the 2" aluminum pipe stock from my mill power feed project. I have some left over .5" x 4" aluminum for a vertical piece to hold the cylinder. HOLY COW! the scale on this is bigger than anything I have ever thought about doing. The bore would be just under 2 inches. How much air will that take??

This may not be a good idea. Anyone want to talk me out of it? (or tell me how to make it work?)

Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1957.jpg   IMG_1958.jpg   IMG_1959.jpg   IMG_1960.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2010, 03:44 AM   #2
Deanofid

Liked 151 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Re: A possible pre-work in progress

I'm guessing you're figuring on a horizontal with a hit 'n miss appearance, 'Vette. If so, you can sleeve the cylinder so it won't displace so much in the way of cubic inches. Don't make the stroke too long and that will help too.

If you sleeve it, you can make it a good snug press fit, then cut some fins on the OD of the cylinder to spiff it up.

About 15 years ago, I made a wobbler with a bore of about 1 1/4" and a stroke of 1 1/2". It took a lot of air. I don't mean a lot of pressure, but a lot of volume.
I have one of those larger Sears compressors on wheels. Can't remember the storage tank size, but will pump up a couple of tires before it comes on. That wobbler would have it coming on every couple of minutes. I think you're looking at a lot of air consumption if you make it with a 2" bore and any reasonable stroke to match it's size.

Dean

Old 01-10-2010, 01:17 AM   #3
Powder keg

Liked 32 Times on 32 Posts

So, Have you started making chips yet? We're waiting

Wesley P

Idaho:o)

A Gismo ??? If it has a flywheel or spins and is made with small parts. I'll take one! If it makes noise, moves, or requires frequent oiling and dusting it's a better deal yet. It's especially right if its shiny and bright.

Old 01-10-2010, 02:54 AM   #4
black85vette
HMEM_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder keg
So, Have you started making chips yet? We're waiting
No, not yet. I liked Dean's idea of fins on the cylinder. That would give it the width for a good proportion with the rest of the engine and allow a smaller bore. So I am going to have to find some appropriate material. I think I can get started cutting out a section for the crank to rotate in and also work out the bearing blocks.

Old 01-14-2010, 10:46 PM   #5
Bill Mc

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Hi black85vette - I appreciate what you are planning to build but, won't the teeth on those two 'flywheels' be more like a buzz saw when the engine is running? I sure wouldn't want to accidently touch them with my wrist. Just thought I would put in my two cents worth. - Billmc

Old 01-14-2010, 11:23 PM   #6
bearcar1
HMEM_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 42 Times on 42 Posts

Say BS' why not make it into a full-blown IC engine and then you would not have to worry about air volume and what not. I can see the basics in my mind. Take your time to do some actual working sketches and I'm sure you can decide whether or not you really wish to proceed. Best of luck.

BC1
Jim

Old 01-14-2010, 11:31 PM   #7
black85vette
HMEM_SUPPORTER.png

Bill; This is just the raw materials. I plan on turning the outside of the flywheels smooth. Don't think it would look very good with the teeth either.

Jim; Good idea. That would make it much more of a project since I have not done an IC engine yet. May have to consider that. It would certainly be a one of a kind. Any special issues with an IC of that scale? How about cylinder material?

Old 01-14-2010, 11:59 PM   #8
Deanofid

Liked 151 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 5

For IC, you will need some kind of cast iron, or at least steel liner for the cylinder.
Also, those wheels you have there look to be aluminum. They probably wouldn't be heavy enough for an IC engine. They have to provide enough momentum to provide a compression stroke. You could shrink on a steel rim.

Dean

Old 01-16-2010, 01:01 AM   #9
cfellows

Liked 675 Times on 443 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I've never built an air engine that has a bore larger than .75" although I have a couple of 2 cylinder engines which are .75" bore. If you get much larger than that, you are going to use a lot of air unless you have a pretty short stroke and/or run it slow.

You can make those aluminum wheels, which look like browning timing belt pulleys, into more efficient flywheels by turning off the teeth and press fitting a short section of steel pipe over the perimeter.

Looks like a fun project.

Chuck

So many projects, so little time, not enough energy...

Old 02-18-2010, 01:18 AM   #10
black85vette
HMEM_SUPPORTER.png

This project is a bit backwards. The parts are coming to me but not from a set of plans. The parts show up and then I try to figure out what to make with them.

Here is where I am right now. I have cut an opening in the rear of the base to make room for the crank to turn. Then I cut smooth flat spots for the front vertical piece and the crank supports. I turned the outside of the wheels to make them smooth and then made a close fit brass hub to reduce the opening in the center of the flywheels. I also had a new part show up. My friend gave me a cylinder from a glycol pump. The liner is already perfectly smooth and chrome plated. Next step is to figure out a vertical mount for the cylinder which will then dictate the position of the crank shaft.

Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2035.jpg   IMG_2036.jpg   IMG_2037.jpg  

Quick Reply