Home Model Engine Machinist > Building Them > Questions and Answers > Machinist's Workshop magazine.

Old 11-02-2009, 05:35 AM   #1
Twmaster

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts

Default Machinist's Workshop magazine.

Moderator: Please move this if you feel another forum would be appropriate.

What do you think of Machinist's Workshop magazine?

While poking about on the Intartubes today I discovered that Home Shop Machinist magazine has a sister publication called Machinist's Workshop. They claim it's geared toward newbie machinists and features shorter projects. I find that appealing. I've never liked HSM. Every issue I've picked up I've regretted buying. Even the advertisements were so-so.

So, is WM more of the same or worthwhile?

Thanks.

Mike N

Folded, bended, spindled and mutilated. But happy.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2009, 03:38 PM   #2
applescotty

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default Re: Machinist's Workshop magazine.

I used to subscribe to both HSM and MW. I finally let me subscription lapse last year. I did keep my subscription to Live Steam. At the time, at least, it seemed like there was more machining content in Live Steam than there was in either HSM or MW. For the around $60 that the two cost each year, I decided I'd be happier spending the money buying machining related books. I think if you're a general garage tinkerer, they're probably more interesting. If you're more interested in model engineering, and specifically model engines, I don't think they're worth it.

Scott

Old 11-02-2009, 04:26 PM   #3
black85vette
HMEM_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 59 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I have not subscribed to any magazine in years (not even Corvette) because I find very few articles all that useful. I will buy one from time to time because a lot of vendors have good ads and I find new vendors that way. I think a company that can pay for advertising is more likely to be stable than one that just puts up a web page or sells only on eBay. Fortunately I have several book stores near here that have all the magazines on the rack and comfortable chairs nearby. They don't mind customers sitting and looking through books and magazines. So I pop in and scan through the magazines and see if there is a project or article I like and then buy just that issue. I also put my $$ into good books rather than magazines.

Old 11-02-2009, 05:18 PM   #4
Cedge

Liked 50 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I subscribed to both, for a while, but finally let my Machinist Workshop subscription lapse. I still receive HSM and enjoy it, but the Machinist Workshop magazine has moved toward gun smithing to such a level that I lost interest. Just my personal opinion.

Steve

You are invited to visit the Steam Engine Gallery

Images Removed in Protest of Current Forum Copyright Policies

Old 11-02-2009, 08:14 PM   #5
Brian Rupnow
HMEM_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2334 Times on 2083 Posts
Likes Given: 24

At the time, at least, it seemed like there was more machining content in Live Steam than there was in either HSM or MW ----I'm doing my best to change that!!!

Brian Rupnow
www.rupnowdesign.com

Old 11-02-2009, 08:53 PM   #6
Lew Hartswick

Liked 17 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 4

For many years (starting in I think 9 I got both (back then MW was Projects in Metal) finally after the "lawn edger" fiasco I let the MW drop and have just gotten
my notice of "last issue unless I renew immediately" for HSM. Thinking seriously
of letting it lapse. May just offer the entire collection for bids since I havent re-read
any of them in years. I seem to just collect magazines. :-)
...lew...

Old 11-02-2009, 09:23 PM   #7
mklotz
HMEM_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 138 Times on 258 Posts

Both magazines have declined terribly over the years. Where once were ingenious articles for building tooling and models, now we have endless natterings about improving Chinese machinery, building stuff that any decent amateur machinist doesn't need a print to build, and a lot of niche gun-smithing with no applicability outside the intended firearm.

I keep subscribing in the fond hope that things will turn around but I doubt it. George Buliss, the new editor, seems as distant from the readership as his predecessor, Neil Knopf. I wonder if George even has a shop.

The magazines seem to sell for their face value so one isn't losing that much by subscribing except perhaps one's hope for the mechanical arts in America.

Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
http://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Old 11-02-2009, 09:38 PM   #8
Twmaster

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts

From the responses it seems pretty clear to me.... I'll spend my beans on books. Perhaps some old Rudy K. stuff....

What a shame. The MW magazine sounds like it would have been good for my tastes....

Thanks a bunch for the input.

Mike N

Folded, bended, spindled and mutilated. But happy.

Old 11-02-2009, 09:59 PM   #9
Tin Falcon
Administrator
HMEM_ADMIN.png

Liked 687 Times on 557 Posts
Likes Given: 18

I superscribe to Home shop machinist. I usually pick up copies of Machinist workshop and digital machinist at cabin fever. While getting others input is good you should judge for yourself. If you go to Village Press' web site you can sign up for a free no obligation copy of any of the magazines. Or pick up a copy at the local Barnes and noble etc and read through.

And for those that do not like it maybe we should try to improve the magazine buy sending input to the editors and submitting articles for print. IMHO the editors of these mags are struggling to find out what we really want and to find quality articles.
I am guilty as well I am not good at filling out surveys and have been asked to submit article for print I have done neither.
Tin

Ad maiorem dei gloriam - Ad vitam paramus
Amat victoria praeparatio diligens

Old 11-02-2009, 10:27 PM   #10
mklotz
HMEM_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 138 Times on 258 Posts

The Home Shop Machinist forum has existed for many years. If the editors were truly interested in determining what the readers want, they would read their own forum. Instead they ignore it while they write feel-good, pablum-esque editorials and the forum degenerates into a bandstand for redneck politics and off-topic yahoos who lack a life.

There have been literally hundreds of magazine-worthy projects detailed on the forum. As far as I can remember, not one of them has shown up in the magazine.

No, their magazines are just another revenue stream, written by and, it seems now, for, MBAs who fancy themselves shadetree mechanics.

Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
http://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Quick Reply