Home Model Engine Machinist > Showing Them > A Work In Progress > Building Rudy's Steam Tractor

Old 03-06-2009, 01:41 AM   #1
4156df
Project of the Month Winner!!!

Liked 26 Times on 26 Posts

Default Building Rudy's Steam Tractor

I’ve started a build of Rudy Kouhoupt’s Model Steam Tractor. The tractor is 3/4” scale and is loosely based on the J.I. Case steam engines. To quote Rudy, “…it is not an exact scale replica. Some of the parts have been arranged to improve the ease of construction of the model or to insure its dependable operation.” The part about “ease of construction” was strangely appealing.

I purchased a set of plans that have been recently published by Village Press. This will be the first engine I intend to operate with steam, so having plans to work from should be a good thing. My plan is to build the rear wheels first (they look like the hardest part to me) and if that goes well then proceed with the rest of the engine.

Interestingly, Rudy’s original engine, which he built for his Popular Mechanics article (Feb. 1971), is at the Craftsmanship Museum in Vista, CA. The museum is about 40 miles from me. I expect to make several trips there as this build goes along. Here’s a photo I took of it.

The rear wheels are supposed to be brass, 4 1/2” OD & 4 1/4” ID, fabricated from a cast-brass pipe adapter. Good luck finding one. The closest I could come in brass was a threaded specialty connector for $148 and I would need two!! I’m barely started and I have to deviate from the plans. However, I guess being able to do that is part of the beauty of model engineering and of not building an exact replica. Anyway, I ended up selecting a 4” copper sweat fitting that is 4.350 OD and 4.136 ID. Close enough. Thirty-eight bucks, but I get two wheels from one fitting. The other raw materials are 1” brass rod for the hub and 3/32” rod for the spokes.

For the rims, I cut two 1 1/2" wide rings from the coupling.

Since I’ve only got a 6” lathe, I had to get creative to face the edges (Rudy says this can be done with a file!?).

Next step…spoke holes. There are 24 spokes per wheel, twelve to a side, staggered so the two sides are off-set. To drill the holes I layed out the spoke pattern and glued it to a wood fixture (I’m a big fan of wood for one-time fixtures). The way this one works is the black lines represent one side’s spokes and the red the other. Line up the reference line on the inside of the rim with either a red or black line, drill, move the reference to the next line of the same color and so on. Then reverse the rim and drill the other side using the opposite color lines. I first spot drilled and then thru drilled.

Drilling the copper didn’t go so well until I got some info from helpful people on this board (see thread on “Drilling Copper). The trick is slower speed (1000 rpm or slower) and coolant (preferably tallow).

Each wheel has 24 “grouters” fastened with rivets. They’re fastened such that two of them fall between each spoke. Rudy’s suggestion was to drill the holes on one side of the rim and then use the grouter as a guide to line drill the other side during assembly.

The rivets will be 1/16”, but I used a #51 drill which makes it just a little easier to get the rivets in. I used the same drill fixture as for the spoke holes, but used a new reference line set off the proper distance from the original reference. Then I aligned the new mark with each of the spoke lines, spot drilled and then thru drilled.

After the holes were all drilled, I deburred the inside using a 3” diameter scotchbrite wheel in the drill press.

Next thing to tackle are the hubs. So far so good.

Regards,
Dennis

P.S. I tried smaller photos for this post. Are these the right size or should I go back to larger ones??

Southern California, USA

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2009, 02:14 AM   #2
rleete

Liked 35 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Default Re: Building Rudy's Steam Tractor

Nice, informative post. I like the simple setups.

Pics are just fine.

Easily distracted by shiny things

Old 03-06-2009, 02:28 AM   #3
steamer

Liked 102 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Cool...always wanted to watch that build.

YES the pics are good!

Keep them coming......

Dave

Old 03-06-2009, 02:36 AM   #4
Maryak
HMEM_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 137 Times on 122 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Send a message via ICQ to Maryak

Looking good. Now I know why the question on drilling copper.

Best Regards
Bob

Its hard to remember your objective was to drain the swamp when your up to your neck in alligators.Если вы у Тетушки были яйца, она была бы Дядюшкой

Old 03-09-2009, 06:44 AM   #5
4156df

The hubs are a basic turning operation. They’re drilled 0.250” and there’s a 6-32 set screw in the center of the hub for securing the wheel to the axle.

The spoke holes are drilled to match the holes in the rims with 12 spokes per side staggered so the two sides are offset. I used a locating method similar to the one used for drilling the rims. The fixture is positioned on the drill press for the first side. Twelve holes are drilled using the black lines for reference, then the fixture is re-positioned for the second side and the holes are drilled using the red lines for reference. Holes were spotted with a spotting drill and then drilled. The hub is 1.5” long and 1” diameter. Spoke holes are 3/32”.

Wheel assembly tomorrow.

Dennis

Southern California, USA

Old 03-09-2009, 12:11 PM   #6
ksouers

Liked 54 Times on 54 Posts

Dennis,
Following along.
Very creative indexing solution.

Kevin

Kevin

I make things.

Old 03-09-2009, 04:40 PM   #7
cfellows

Liked 688 Times on 453 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Nice looking build, Dennis! I'll be watching the progress.

Chuck

So many projects, so little time, not enough energy...

Old 03-09-2009, 06:26 PM   #8
DougLanum

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

[img]http://Dennis,
Nice Job.
This tractor was my first project about 30 years ago.
Mine has a lot of miles on it. I'd take it to an engine show and the kids or "Crawling engineers" come out of the woodwork to steer.
I made my wheels from steel tube, the cross head design was made closer to what Case manufactured, and the gearing was reduced so the tractor moved at a more realistic speed.
Please keep sending updates and if I can answer any questions don't hesitate to ask.
I'll try to attach a photo.
Doug

[img][/img]

Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0178.JPG   IMG_0177.JPG  

Old 03-09-2009, 06:30 PM   #9
DougLanum

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

My Message got lost, but the photos got sent ??

Nice job Dennis, please keep us updated. I built one of the tractors as my first project about 30 years ago. It has many miles on it.
I take it to an engine show and the kids "crawling engineers" come out of the woodwork to steer it.
I used steel pipe for my wheels, changed the cross head design to match the Case design more and reduced the gear ratio so the tractor moved at a more realistic speed.
Don't hesitate to ask question if you need help

Doug

Old 03-09-2009, 07:29 PM   #10
4156df

Doug,

Nice job on your engine. I've been hoping a few builders would pop up as I go along. I know I'm going to have questions, particlarly as I get closer to running it. The plans have absolutely no info on them about operation.

Regards,
Dennis

Southern California, USA

Quick Reply