Home Model Engine Machinist > Building Them > Questions and Answers > Flyball governor plans

Old 11-05-2008, 08:58 PM   #1
Brian Rupnow
HMEM_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2386 Times on 2127 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Default Flyball governor plans

Does anyone know of a site with free plans for a flyball governor? Somebody over on the Home Shop Machinist website is looking for a set of FREE plans. I don't have any plans, and although I could design a set, its more cost effective to modify a set of existing plans.---This subject brings up a funny story from my youth.--Read on if interested---

I grew up in the kinder, gentler, far more poverty stricken world of the 1950's. I have a firm belief that it wasn't necessity that was the mother of invention---poverty was. The lack of money created a world of tinkerers and inventors, simply because there was no money to buy the proper tool or machine. An older friend of mine, named Leonard had built a portable buzz saw for cutting firewood. This was basically a 48" diameter circular saw mounted on the chassis of a model A Ford, circa 1930 or 1931. The lengths of wood were lifted onto a tilting carriage, and the carriage was tilted into the saw to cut up lengths of firewood. The saw was driven by a flat belt and pulley arrangement that came from the rear of the old Fords transmission. Now, Leonard had a problem----The old 4 cylinder Ford engine had babbit bearings, so it did not take kindly to prolonged high speed revving. However, if someone didn't open the throttle and give it some gas when the log engaged the saw, the engine would stall. Leonard was a veteran tinkerer, and somehow come into the posession of a set of flyball governors off an old steam train. He mounted them with a belt drive from the Ford engine, and hooked them up to the carburetor with a system of levers and pulleys. The theory was quite simple---under no load conditions the old Ford would set there idling, but as soon as the log engaged the buzz saw, the rpm's would drop off, and the flyball governors would open the throttle automatically. this was a perfectly good working theory!!! The problem was that Leonard somehow got one of his lever arrangements bass ackwards. When the last bolt was tightened, and the last brace welded in place, Leonard went to test his creation. He started the Ford---that part worked perfect. As soon as it started however, the flyballs began to fly outward from centrifugal force, and the farther out they flew, the more the lever mechanism opened the throttle. The engine went from zero to a zillion rpm's in the blink of an eye. Leonard leaped from the drivers seat and raced around the car to pull off the coil wire and shut down the engine---and at the same time the flyball governor self destructed (it too was by then doing a zillion rpm's). One of the steel balls flew and hit poor Leonard directly in the kneecap and broke it into a dozen peices--then the old Ford engine self destucted in a scream of tortured babbit bearings and shattered castings!! Leonard eventually recovered, though he walked with a limp ever afterwards. We all survived the 1950's, but it certainly was a time that gave rise to a lot of interesting stories.---Brian

Brian Rupnow
www.rupnowdesign.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2008, 09:26 PM   #2
compound driver 2

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Default Re: Flyball governor plans

Hi Brian
Do a search for teh patent covering the Pickering govenor. I have the drawings for a two and a three ball but no way of scanning them. If that fails give the lady at MERL a call I know she has them for about a monkey a shot. I know they post all over the world.

Old 11-05-2008, 11:37 PM   #3
Tin Falcon
Administrator
HMEM_ADMIN.png

Liked 700 Times on 565 Posts
Likes Given: 18

ICS had a manual on designing them
http://www.lindsaybks.com/prod/allbks.html
Has the reprint available for about $ 8.00 good book
Tin

Ad maiorem dei gloriam - Ad vitam paramus
Amat victoria praeparatio diligens

Old 11-06-2008, 01:20 AM   #4
Brian Rupnow
HMEM_SUPPORTER.png

Here are a couple of pictures that I came up with after a fairly intense internet search. There are a lot of postings about Pickering governors, but I couldn't find a link to the patent drawings, and I couldn't find any clear pictures either. There is a lot of reference made to Watts governor which looks like the same thing to me. One of the links led me to an adverisement for a book called "507 Mechanical Movements" which looked like fascinating fodder for tips on a machine to run with one of my steam engines for exhibit purposes.

Brian Rupnow
www.rupnowdesign.com

Old 11-06-2008, 01:40 AM   #5
chuck foster

Liked 38 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 2

i just did a quick google patent search and came up with this

http://www.google.com/patents?id=bYp...ad=0_1#PPA1,M1

hope it helps

chuck

the northern chuck

Old 11-06-2008, 01:49 AM   #6
Brian Rupnow
HMEM_SUPPORTER.png

Thanks Chuck.

Brian Rupnow
www.rupnowdesign.com

Old 11-06-2008, 02:33 AM   #7
steamboatmodel

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts

An interesting expression derives from Flyball Governors "Balls to the Wall". Most people when they here it immediately put their minds in the gutter, but it means running at all out speed.
Regards,
Gerald

Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors--and miss. Lazarus Long

Old 11-06-2008, 03:06 AM   #8
IronHorse
Project of the Month Winner!!!

Liked 29 Times on 17 Posts

"The Boy's Book of Engine Building" (Google Books) has a chapter on model engine fittings and there is a section on Governors. Kinda simple stuff but some good ideas.

Old 11-06-2008, 03:48 AM   #9
Brass_Machine

Liked 32 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamboatmodel
An interesting expression derives from Flyball Governors "Balls to the Wall". Most people when they here it immediately put their minds in the gutter, but it means running at all out speed.
Regards,
Gerald
I discovered that a little while ago. I think it was watching a video on Jay Leno's garage and he explained that. I have had a lot of fun explaining it to people.

Eric

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

A still more glorious dawn awaits...-Carl Sagan

Old 11-06-2008, 06:15 AM   #10
Maryak
HMEM_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 137 Times on 122 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Send a message via ICQ to Maryak

Live and Learn, I always thought it was "Balls Out" which meant maximum speed

Regards
Bob

Its hard to remember your objective was to drain the swamp when your up to your neck in alligators.Если вы у Тетушки были яйца, она была бы Дядюшкой

Quick Reply