Home Model Engine Machinist > Building Them > Questions and Answers > Coleman fuel, zippo lighter gas

Old 09-09-2013, 12:50 PM   #1
Davewild

Liked 32 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default Coleman fuel, zippo lighter gas

Hi all

I am currently in Singapore and looking for coleman fuel which I cannot find, I have done some research and found many articles that say that Ronsonol or zippo lighter fluid is the same as coleman fuel,zippo lighter fuel is available here no problem, have any of you guys used lighter fluid to run your engines, or can anyone confirm that the two are the same thing?
Thanks in advance.

Dave

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2013, 01:34 PM   #2
dieselpilot

Liked 87 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Coleman fuel is a type of naptha. Lighter fluids are also naptha. Naptha however describes a wide range of hydrocarbons. Look at the MSDS for the flash point. if the flash point is too high, it will make the engine difficult to start. The flash point of Coleman fuel is <-18°C. Ronsonol lighter fluid is listed at 5°C and the vapor pressure is much lower. It would be worth a try. Solvent naptha would be very similar to Coleman fuel.

Old 09-09-2013, 01:48 PM   #3
hacklordsniper

Liked 58 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Im interested in same thing and was thinking about it. As soon i will finish my small IC i cant play with it because of gasoline smell but if it would run on zippo lighter fuel that would be great

Old 09-09-2013, 01:59 PM   #4
Davewild

Thanks Dieselpilot, I will give it a try, I'm currently on a ship and really don't want the fumes of normal gasoline.

Dave

Old 09-09-2013, 02:57 PM   #5
dieselpilot

If you haven't run the engine on a normal fuel, it will be difficult to know if starting issues are due to some problem with the engine or an unsuitable fuel. I had a problem a while back with an engine and it turned out to be problems with the fuel I had. This caused a lot of wasted time and frustration. For a fuel with low vapor pressure preheating the engine may be the only answer.

Greg

Old 09-09-2013, 09:55 PM   #6
Swifty
HMEM_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 380 Times on 320 Posts
Likes Given: 101

Coleman fuel over here in Australia is equal to what we call shellite, it's easily available in hardware stores in the paint section. It's also used in the lightweight camping stoves used by hikers. I've used it to run my engine designed by Brian Rupnow.

Paul.

Old 09-10-2013, 01:56 AM   #7
Tin Falcon
Administrator
HMEM_ADMIN.png

Liked 700 Times on 565 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Zippo flud MSDS

Coleman fuel MSDS

I have always thought of colman fuel as a more refined form of gasoline. As we know gasoline is a chemical mixture. Lighter fluid is closer to mineral spirits paint thinner stoddards solvent.
as you can see both mixtures have many of the same chemicals mentioned . the big difference I see is the flash point the flash point of zippo fluid is < 73 F and the flash point of coleman fuel is <0 F
zippo fluid is 70% light hydrotreated distilate and 30% naptha

coleman fuel is 100 % light hydrotreated distilate.

Quote:
articles that say that Ronsonol or zippo lighter fluid is the same as coleman fuel,zippo lighter fuel is available here no problem, have any of you guys used lighter fluid to run your engines, or can anyone confirm that the two are the same thing?
From the few minutes of research I have done it seems they are similar chemical mixtures and contain many of the same compoents but in different proportions difeernt physical properties and therefore not the same.
Tin

Ad maiorem dei gloriam - Ad vitam paramus
Amat victoria praeparatio diligens

Old 09-10-2013, 04:19 AM   #8
Swifty
HMEM_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 380 Times on 320 Posts
Likes Given: 101

Checked the spec sheets for shellite, it's the same as Coleman fuel, 100% light hydrotreated distillate.

Paul.

Old 09-10-2013, 07:51 AM   #9
Davewild

Hi all

Thank you all again, great comments and advice, I think I will use regular pump gasoline to start with, then if it runs!!!! I can experiment with other fuels.

Dave

Old 09-10-2013, 01:37 PM   #10
dieselpilot

I was going to suggest just that. If you try to start this engine with an unknown fuel, especially something with low vapor pressure, you might not know if it's the fuel or the engine giving you trouble. I had an enigne years ago that gave me trouble and it turned out to be a problem with the oil in the fuel I mixed, the engine ran fine on good fuel, but I wasted several days trying to get it started with bad fuel. Several years ago a few of us were trying to find a source of easily obtainable fuel for model diesel engines. I did a lot of digging into oils and fuels. I ran engines on BBQ lighter fluid and a few solvents. The substitute for kerosene was easy and could be almost any hydrocarbon. We didn't find a suitable replacement for ether, however, it's unique. I run spark ignition engines on kerosene at times and these must be preheated before they will run.

Light hydrotreated distillate doesn't mean much. There are many CAS #'s for it. If you really want to know what a compound is tracking down the CAS# will give you more detail. For instance the light hydrotreated distillate in the Zippo fluid might be called VM&P naptha or solvent refined light naptha on another sheet. Regardless it's the same CAS as Coleman fuel. Sometimes the MSDS show odd things like this one, where even though 70% of Zippo fluid is the same as Coleman fuel the flash point is wildly different. That doesn't really make much sense.

Quick Reply